Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fawn(4)

Fawn:
Stupid humans, as soon as they see a cute cuddly fur ball they instantly fall in love. This is how I’ve made through the past few years. People just can’t resist a cat or whatever animal I feel like being that night. Hey, it’s easy and gets me free food and a little spare change. This house I’m staying at is loaded! I highly doubt they’ll be missing anything… This had become a nightly routine for me by now, turn into some animal, be brought in by a unsuspecting family, once they all go to sleep I turn back to human form and go get my bag then come back and take whatever could be useful and then before they ever wake up I’m out the door ready to start my day.
I held up a pair of baggy shorts with large holes in it. “Guess they won’t need those.” I said shrugging and stuffing them into my bag. As I searched through these peoples house I thought about what Spark said to me. “This isn’t the time to joke. If he dies I’ll make sure to pull out all of your whiskers.” He could be such a hard ass sometimes. To him it’s work, work, work, and more work. I’m not sure why I ended up being the one to find this kid. I mean I like to take my good sweet time when I search, I’ve only been on the job for two weeks and Spark already expects me to have the kid. I guess I had to be some use to the crew. I mean ever since I left them they never truly let me back in. When I had left I was lonely and scared, though I’d never admit it out loud. When I had come back they wouldn’t accept me so I’ve been working my way to their good sides. I knew I had to find this kid before the Retter did. The Retter are heartless and cruel monsters. I was only 15 when the Retter came and killed my parents and then came after me. I knew I had to get away before anything could happen. It didn’t help that after I left a missing person’s report went up. Though over the years authorities just assumed I left the country or died. It didn’t matter to me though as long as I didn’t catch the Retter’s attention.
I remember the first time I met Spark. I was in Chicago and the Retter had someone how caught scent of me and there had to be at least 20 on me. How they found me I still don’t know. But anyways I was running for my life, in the form of a golden retriever it’s not like I could have changed into a cheetah and go running down the street.  Anyways, I was running as fast as possible and I thought I had finally out run them when I took one wrong turn that lead me straight to the end of an alley way. There I was (still in dog form) staring straight into the eyes of one of the Retter. You see the Retter isn’t a lot different than the Chosen, they just don’t get the powers we do. I think the reason they hate us if because they’re jealous, but that’s just my theory. Back to the story there I was staring straight into the eyes of the stupid Retter. He gave me a menacing grin and said “Looks like we’ll be putting poor puppy down.” I bared my teeth at him but he merely laughed. I wished so bad I could have changed into some other animal, but at the time I could change into a dog, cat, horse and an occasional gecko, conveniently nothing helpful. I tried to bite at the man approaching me but as I lunged at him he grabbed the scruff of my neck.. “Tisk tisk girl. At least now you’ll join your parents not that you would even deserve that fait, vermin.” I whined pitifully as the Retter brought up a gun towards my head.
“I’d put her down.” A voice called from behind us. I looked and say a tall young guy with brown hair and dark colored eyes (who was quite good looking if you don’t mind me adding.). I could see a spot on his arm glowing. I felt my mark beginning to burn as I watched this stranger.
The Retter snapped its head back and hissed. “Another one to take care of, you’re just making my job much easier.” He turned his head back to me “Now let me take care of this one.”
“I said put her down.” He repeated unclenching his fist. I thought I was I was seeing things at the time because I saw sparks coming from his hands.
The Retter rolled his eyes “You’ll just have to wait your turn...” I closed my eyes as I heard the click of the gun. “Bye bye puppy.” He said and a few tense moments went by, but suddenly I was on the ground with a gunshot in my shoulder and the Retter had fallen to the ground. The smell of burnt flesh filled the air. I turned back into human form and clenched my shoulder in pain. When I looked up I saw the mysterious guy looking down at me. He took off his jacket and placed it on me. One major flaw with my transformations is I can’t wear clothes. “We need to get that bullet out.” He said
I nodded my head as he helped me up. I gritted my teeth then asked “Who are you?”
“Name’s Spark.” He replied shortly leading me down the alleyway
Later that night after getting clothes and the bullet out of my shoulder we sat in a small hotel room, my shoulder hurt like hell. While eating a hamburger I asked “So Spark how’d you find me?”
He shrugged setting his food down “I just knew. I guess it’s a Chosen thing.”
I arched my eyebrow at him and gave him an unconvinced look “A Chosen thing?”
He nodded his head “Yeah, me and you are the Chosen plus many others out there. Many others that I need to find before the Retter do.”
“The Retter? You mean the guys who came after me?”
“Yeah, they have sworn to kill any of us. That’s why I came to find you, and now we have to go find the others.”
“Whoa slow down Sparky, there is no we in this. There is only you, who will go look for the ‘Chosen’ and then me who is going to going to on her merry way.” I said standing up
“This is the courtesy you repay me with for saving your life? By just running away? Do you think that will solve anything? Besides you leave now the Retter will be right on your trail.”
I bit my lip and looked away “Thanks for saving me, and so on and so on, but I do need to get on my way. There’s a beach chair calling my name in Florida.” As I went to the door I expected him to stop me but when he didn’t I went to turn the door handle, I yelled and jumped back as an electric shock went through my body causing my hair to stick up. I clenched my fist and glared at him. He had a cocky big grin on his face one of the only times I ever saw him smile. “You could have just stopped me.”
“I did stop you.” He replied chuckling
I could feel the mark on my arm beginning to throb again. I saw that Spark’s mark was glowing as bright at mine. “Do we all have these?” I asked
“Yes, it’s one way we can tell who is a Chosen. Whenever we get close to another or get touched they began to burn.”
“That’s convenient.” I mumbled
“That is how we are going to find the others as well.”
I shook my head and he laughed “Are you going to try and leave again?”
I rolled my eyes “Oh course not Sparky. You’re the boss.”
And since that day we had searched the world for others like us. We added six more to the group throughout the two years we worked together first with Sonic and his sister Tiny, then later came Chem and then Twilight....  Last year Spark added Casper to the group; I however had already left the others to take care of my own business…
So here I was running a mission for Spark while he and the others search across the rest the globe. I shouldn’t have gone back to Spark and the others “Like you had anywhere else to go.” I thought to myself. As I searched through the humans stuff I found an old photo album. “I remember having one of these...” “Stay focused Fawn.” Spark’s bossy voice said as I examined one of the photos that had the two guys, that were much younger then, who were staying here. They must be brothers; something was strange about the younger one with the dog. It was something I just couldn’t quite put my paw on.
My animal instincts suddenly made me realize I was being watched. Could the guy walk any louder? He was only a few feet behind me and without him even expecting it I pinned him to the small sofa. I looked at him then to the photo, he’d definitely gotten a lot better looking. “Hmm not too bad looking, are you?” I said with a grin. I’m not going to lie he is pretty good looking.
I unexpectedly began to feel claustrophobic. The darkness of shadows began to surround me. I instantly backed away from him and as he stood up he said “Thanks Sweetheart, but I’m not into chicks who break into houses and go through things they shouldn’t.”
I batted my eye lashes at him “Oh don’t worry you’re not my type. Besides I didn’t break in here, I was invited right in.”
He gave me a confused look then said while raising his bat “Cat! You were the disgusting cat!”
I glared at him “I’ll show you disgusting cat.”
“Fawn don’t!” Spark’s words rang through my head.
Before I could stop myself I was already forming into my personal favorite animal, a black leopard. The guy’s eyes widened in shock with a little fear mixed in. I bared my teeth at him and he raised his hands “Whoa now cat.” I started to walk closer to him.
“Aaron what are you doing down there?” his brother yelled from upstairs
“Uhh,” he said pausing while jumping behind a bookshelf as I lunged at him “TV suddenly turned on. Trying to fix it don’t worry!”
I saw a spot on his arm begin to glow brightly.  “Fawn stop it now! He’s one of us!” Spark yelled
I stopped in my tracks. This idiot was one of the Chosen? “Bud out Spark.”
“I mean it Fawn. He’s stronger than you think.”
I started to reply when I was engulfed in darkness.  I couldn’t see anything around me. I began to feel quite sick from feeling so trapped. As quickly as I could I formed back into my house cat form. I fell out of the darkness and began to run away from him his hand grabbed the scruff of my neck. I hissed and yowled at him. “Not getting away that easy kitty cat.” He taunted “You have a lot of explaining to do…”
The lights then came on and a voice from upstairs asked “What the hell is going on down here?”
The shadow guy and I both looked up and saw his brother looking down at us with an annoyed look. Man shadow guy must feel ridiculous. A baseball bat in one hand and a cat in the other and cheesy grin nothing strange about that at all.  “I heard something fall over so when I came downstairs I found this cat next to your bookshelf and I was about to throw it out until you came down here.” He lied. I hissed at him and tried to scratch him his grip was incredible strong on my though.
His brother shook his head and rubbed his eyes “Aaron it’s three in the morning. You do realize we have to work tomorrow right?”
“Yah…”
“Whatever just be quiet okay? Now I’ll let you and the cat have your alone time.” He finished turning the light back off leaving us in the darkness.
“Okay cat.” He whispered “Turn back to your human form so I can talk to you.”
I meowed in reply which he apparently understood because he dropped me to the ground. Luckily cat’s land on their feet. Not wanting to turn into human form in front of him I dashed behind a large Venetian screen. Once human I poked my head around the screen “Hand me those clothes over there.” I said pointing to my bag.
He grinned then said “Why don’t you just come get them yourself?”
I glared at him “Hand me my bag.”
“What’s the magic word?”
“Give me my bag before I turn into something and kill you.”
“That’s more than one word. Please try again.”
“Give me my damn bag!”
“Not until you say it.”
“No.”
“Then you’re not getting your bag.”
“Close your eyes then I’ll come get it.”
“What’s the fun in that?”
I heard the annoyed sigh of Spark “You two are idiots.”
“Get out of my head dammit Spark!”
“Not until you get the job done.”
I shook my head. Why do men have to be so annoying?
“Are you going to say the magic word or not?”
“Please…” I muttered
“What’s that? I didn’t hear you.”
“I said please.”
“Please what?”
“Please hand me my damn bag.”
He shrugged his shoulders “Close enough.” He tossed me my bag and I quickly changed back into my clothes.
I pointed to the door when I was done changing “Outside.”
“Someone’s demanding.”
“I don’t want your family hearing Shadow Boy.” I replied walking out the door.
“Whatever,” then as he walked behind he said “Shadow boy…How clever.”
Once we were outside he asked “Who are you and what are you?”
“Let me see your arm.” I said ignoring his question
He began to retaliate but instead I took his arm and looked at the glowing birth mark. “You’re a Chosen.”
“Obviously.”
“Don’t get smart with me.”
“Bossy…” he whispered intentionally loud enough for me to hear.
I inhaled deeply trying to keep my focus. It was something Spark told me to do whenever I got mad. “Look, I don’t want to fight, because we’re on the same side.”
“How do I know you’re not one of the Retter?” He rudely interrupted
“Do I look like one?” I demanded throwing my hands up in the air
“Well,” he said rubbing his hand on his neck “no, not really… But you could be working for them!”
I rolled my eyes “If I worked for them you’d be dead by now.”
“Psh. Like a girl could kill me.”
“You wanna bet?” I threatened
“Fawn just leave. I’ll take care of him when we get there. Look for the kid.” Spark said
For once I actually felt like listening. “You got it.” I replied then looked back at Shadow boy when he said “I’ll take that challenge.”
I looked at my nails with boredom. “Nah, I change my mind. I’ve got other things to take care of.”
“Oh wait just a minute. You can’t just threaten to kill me then leave!”
“Watch me.” I said walking past him.
He grabbed my arm quickly and when I tried to pull his grip off I was shocked by how strong he was. “Let me go asshole.”
“That’s not nice.”
I sighed “What do you want? I’m not going to kill you and I’m leaving. What more do you want?”
“What’s your name, why you’re here and who sent you.”
I chuckled and put my other hand on his shoulder “Sounds like you want to get personal.”
He smirked “Sorry pussy cat. All I want is information.”
“Whatever, you’ll change your mind eventually.”
His grip on my arm tightened as he glared at me my mark began burning more. “Answer the questions.”
“Okay well my names Fawn Doe,” he started to laugh hysterically. “What are you laughing at?”
“Fawn Doe? What kind of name is that?”
“Do you want me to answer your questions or not?”
He regained himself and nodded his head.
“Good, well I’m here to find someone like you, I was sent by a group of others like me… I mean like us.”
“Who are you looking for?”
I shrugged my shoulders “I don’t know all I know is he’s someone like us and I have to find him before the Retter do.”
He paused for a moment as if thinking to himself. “So let’s say you really are looking for this kid and theoretically I knew who he was…”
“You know who he is?” I asked interrupting him
“If you let me finish I’ll tell you. I was subbing for the P.E teacher who died the other day and I noticed this odd kid. I’ve been thinking about it and I think he’s one of us. He even has the mark on his arm.
This was great news! I felt like kissing the guy. “Do you know where I can find him?”
“No, and you can’t just go barging into his house! He’ll think you’re crazy.”
True… “What do you expect me to do then?”
His smile widened from ear to ear “Oh I have an idea..”
I’m not sure if I should be worried or not.~

“Will you hurry up? We’ll be late if we don’t go now.” Aaron said pounding on the door
I opened the door and glared “It’s bad enough you told your brother I was your girlfriend, but now I have to go help sub gym class?” It turned out to be a lot easier to trick his brother (Terence) who I was. His brother seemed quite shocked though to hear his brother was in a relationship.
“I didn’t realize you’d be in a committed relationship.” He said shocked as Aaron told him. I was just about as surprised at what he said.
Aaron nodded his head and said “Got here just last night. Thought I’d surprise you.” To seal the deal he kissed me on the lips. I tried not to pull away he smelled too much like dog.
 His brother’s wife (Becky) seemed to be thrilled with the idea “It’s great to see Aaron find someone to tame him down.” She said handing me a cinnamon roll. Through all of this I had to sit and merely nod my head at everything they said. Humans can be so gullible. Aaron’s nephew was a funny kid though when he saw me the first thing he said was “Kitty!”
Aaron began to give a smart comment back until we heard someone walking around the corner. He gave me a fake grin and wrapped his arm around me waist “You’re so cute you know that right?” His brother showed up wearing a black buttoned down shirt with a green tie and said “Let’s go please.”
“Lady’s first.” Aaron said motioning me to follow his brother. As I walked I felt a tap on my butt I clenched my fist and tried not to rip out his throat. “Come on tiger.” He said pushing me to go faster. Today was going to be a long day I could already tell. As long as I find the kid it will all be worth it though. “I told you to leave.” Spark’s familiar voice
“I know where the kid is though and by the time you get here, he could be dead.”
“I don’t like this guy though…”
“Do I hear a tone of jealousy from you Sparky?” I replied grinning to myself
“…. No… He’s just annoying.”
“If you stayed out of my head you wouldn’t have this problem.”
“If you listened to my orders then I wouldn’t have to be in your head.”
“Well Sparky, if you don’t mind me I’m going to find the kid and spend a wonderful day with my…boyfriend..”
“Fawn I’m ordering you to listen to me!”
“No Spark, technically I’m not even part of the group so I’m going to find the kid with or without your support. I don’t want him to get into the Retter’s hands.”
He let out an annoyed sigh “Fawn just hear me out, Chem and the others are in Indiana right now and Twilight and I are in Washington.”
“Oh joy… but if I don’t go now he could be killed.”
“Fawn I’m telling you to wait!”
“I’m going whether you like it or not. You and your girlfriend can take your good sweet time. I’ve got things handled here. You can inform the others as well.”
“Fawn don’t…” He began to say. He knew Twilight and I hated each other. The reason though he still didn’t know…
“Whatever Spark.” I said ending the conversation. I put up a mental wall to keep him out. I didn’t feel like continuing to talk to him anymore. I could just picture he and Twilight driving in the middle of nowhere and she comforting him and telling him how bad a person I was. Ever since I left she’s basically taken over my old job.  As if Spark cared though he was more concerned with work than anything else.
As I got into the car I buckled my seat belt and stared out the window. In the front seat Aaron gave me a peculiar look and whispered while his brother ran inside to grab some papers. “You okay?” he asked
“What? Oh yeah I’m fine.”
He could tell I was lying but he didn’t continue to interrogate. When his brother returned he fumbled through his keys then started the car. Poor guy seemed really rushed. “Whoa bro calm down. I think they’ll understand if you’re a little late.”
“Yeah I know,” he started to say then I blocked the two’s conversation out. I truthfully didn’t care, all I was concerned about was finding the kid, whose name is something like Hayden. Names don’t matter though.
After driving for about ten minutes I could see a large building that I assumed to be the school. Even though I have been in school five years just thinking of going back made me sick. I hated school with a passion no thanks to the snobby girls or the fact teachers hated me. I was that kid who hung out in the crowd no one liked or were afraid of. A lot of my ‘friends’ back then were stoners and alcoholics. I would be lying if I said I didn’t take part in it sometimes. That was a long time ago though half those people I don’t even remember anymore.  Just the thought of going back to school made me sick.
“Sweety we’re here.” Aaron said looking back at me with a fake smile
“Do I have to?” I complained but got out anyways taking Aaron’s strong hand. Terence had already left the car and was heading towards the school. “You can cut the act now.” I said pushing him away
“My pleasure.”
“How exactly will you explain to them who I am?”
“I’ll simply say that you’re my girlfriend and she wanted to see what my new potential job could be.”
“Oh joy…” I replied following him into the large old school~
“You can’t be serious…” I said walking out of the girls locker room. I was not happy with what I was being forced to wear and it was all Aaron’s idea. I was being forced to wear a yellow jumpsuit that looked at least twenty years ago. It smelled like old lady…
When I saw Aaron, who was also wearing the banana suit, I could see he was trying to keep a straight face “You look great…”
“Shut. Up. Before all of this I will kill you for this.” I replied lowering my voice
He shrugged “Whatever Ms. Doe.”
I shook my head and sat on the bench on the side of the court. “This will be eight hours I’ll never get back.”
“Oh cry about it kitty cat.”
I rolled my eyes “I hated school when I was 15 and I still hate it now.”
Aaron was going to reply when someone called his name. He jogged towards the entrance leaving me alone. Sitting in this gym made me think of the pep rallies I went to that I always thought I were stupid. Even though I was a… “Fawn! Why can’t you listen to me?” Spark’s voice angry voice said then added “What are you wearing?”
“You should know by now I don’t take commands easily. And this? Well it’s my substitute teacher uniform.”
“Fawn…”
“The kids here Spark. I can feel it. After I find him you can go on your merry way and I’ll go on mine. Until of course you need me again.”
He exhaled loudly and I could picture him pacing through a gas station “We didn’t need you.” He said then quickly added in hopes I wouldn’t catch his comment “You are driving me insane. The Retter could be anywhere and you’re basically open prey.”
“Aaron will help you know.”
“No I don’t know, we don’t know the guy Fawn!”
“I know well enough that if the Retter attack he won’t be helping them.”
“When did you two start the first name thing?”
“When he became my boyfriend. Why do you care anyways? Don’t you have something more important to do?”
“Twilight and I are just getting into Oregon we should be there in four hours… Try not to do anything stupid, for my sake.”
“You got it Sparky…”
Aaron finally returned with at least seven girls behind him wearing yellow cheerleading outfits. “Their coach is gone and the principle was hoping you could help.”
I could see on his face he expected me to throw a fit. Instead though I turned to the group of girls “Well I’ll introduce myself then, I’m Ms. Doe and I’ll be subbing in for you girls.”
Aaron took my arm and whispered “I doubt you can teach a bunch of teenagers anything. Maybe you should just do some stretching… or something easy.”
“What’s that supposed to mean? I’ll let you know I was a cheerleader my freshmen year.”  Yes I was a cheerleader. Even with the group I hung out with I still became a cheerleader to make my mom happy.
His eyes widened with shock “Seriously? That’s hard to believe.”
I winked at him “Watch and learn.” I handed him my clipboard and had the girls move to the side. I jumped into a kart-wheel and then twisted to three back flips and landing in a perfect split. Aaron’s mouth hung open as the cheerleaders clapped. I stood up and took my clipboard back from the still shocked Aaron. I grinned and whispered in his ear “You should close your mouth. You might start drooling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment