Saturday, April 9, 2011

Aaron (1)


I was running, running for my life. I could hear their heavy steps crunch the forest leaves underneath their feet as they closed the distance between us. I ducked under branches and jumped over fallen trees trying to get away from them. I don’t know how they found me again; I’ve been keeping a low profile throughout the past months, but here we were; me running again and them chasing after me. I didn’t dare look back for fear of slowing down. I heard gun shots and I ducked. I closed my eyes and could feel the night come alive as my feet touched the ground, as the wind wiped across my face and through my cloths, as my heart beat fifty miles a second. I heard them yell out but couldn’t figure out the words that were spoken. Everything went quite and I started to slow down, I hadn’t even broken a sweat but I know I’ve been running for a long time….too long. I know I need to fight back but I can’t take all of them by myself. I stopped and looked around the dark woods; they seemed to have just…vanished.
                I caught the sight of black and looked over and almost froze; before me stood a black wolf. I backed up and it came forward. I tried to look for a fallen branch or for something to use for a weapon but the wolf growled in reply knowing what I was trying to do. I looked back over to it and bumped into a tree. Fear starting to grip around my throat as I slid down and the wolf trotted over. The next moment it was only inches from me as its yellow eyes stared at me and it’s warm breath breathed in my face. Seconds passed by with nothing happening. I was confused; why didn’t the wolf kill me already? Seeming to have heard me it back up and started walking off when it looked back at me and stopped….as though wanting me to follow it…
                This is so weird I thought to myself as I slowly stood up and cautiously followed the wolf deeper into the forest. We walked down a single path and I kept thinking about where the wolf was leading me….
                Mr. Moore? I heard a voice say and the wolf looked back…it it just talk to me Mr. Moore?
                “Mr. Moore!” A voice snapped and I shot up in my seat
                “What? What?!” I asked in panic and bursts of laughter filled the room
                “Did you have a nice nap Mr. Moore?” Mr. Miller asked impatiently
                I shook my head It was just a dream “Well,” I sighed “it was getting good until I was so rudely interrupted.”
                Mr. Miller smiled “Is that so? Then I guess I did my job then.”
                “Why do you always have to be a prick in the morning?” I sighed and the class gasped
                “Why do you always fall asleep in class?” He replied “Oh wait don’t answer that because I already know…it surprises me you’ve made it this far in college.”
                I smiled “It surprises me that you are still married.” I replied
                He looked at me and started walking back to the front of the room “I’d watch your tongue Mr. Moore.”
                I shrugged “I’m just saying. Maybe if you would at least cover up the bald spot then you might get a little more if you know what I’m saying.”
                “Mr. Moore!” he snapped
                “Or maybe it’s just your personality…” I continued “No one likes a smart ass.”
                “You would know.”
                “Hey at least I can keep a girl in my bed, Oh that reminds me; tell your wife I said hi.”
                “That is enough!” He yelled and I just rose up my hands in defense “Stay after class Mr. Moore.”
                “OOOOOOO!!!” Some of my classmates snickered
                I just sighed though in reply “Yah whatever.”Ë

                “Hey good luck man.” George laughed
                “Yah, call the police if I don’t come back out.” I joked
                He just laughed and then said “You comin’ to the party tonight?”
                “It wouldn’t be a party without me.” I grinned and he just shook his head and started to leave with the rest of the class.
                “I better see you there then!” he said and the door shut behind him
                “You will no doubt about it.” I replied and then sighed and leaned back. Mr. Miller was probably just going to give me a boring lecture about how I was going nowhere with my life thinking it actually phases me and then just send me off like always. This was only the second time I had gotten in trouble after all (at least in class). I looked down at his desk but sat in his chair.
                “So how shall we start the lecture today?” I asked him with a grin
                “No lecture today I’m afraid.” He said flatly
                “Oh? Then what am I doing here still then?” I asked as I started to stand up but then almost fell over when a knife was thrown inches from my head. I looked over at him and then the knife “What the hell?!”
                Mr. Miller smiled “I’m surprised you’ve lived this long Chosen one.”
                I rose up my hands in defense as if I didn’t know what he was talking about “Mr. Miller….are you on something?”
                “Don’t play dumb with me vermin!” He yelled as I dodged another knife
                As I ducked underneath the desk I could hear more knives hit the wood. I thought I would be safe here after all these years of silence. How did they find me and how in hell could Mr. Miller be one without me even knowing? I could hear him come up the stairs and I shut my eyes and slowed my breathing and concentrated. I could feel the feeling of butterflies in my stomach and I opened my eyes and the shadows came to life and danced around the room. They moved fluently as I controlled them and they started to surround me. I brushed them away and they bounced back. I moved my hand towards the lights on the ceiling and the shadows rushed upwards and covered them making the room turn black. I stood up and could see Mr. Miller trying to find me as I moved silently away from my desk.
                I laughed “Who turned the lights off?”
                “I’ll kill you when I find you boy!” he yelled
                “Dude, I’m twenty two.” I ducked as I heard the whistle of a knife come close to hitting me I ran for the door and opened it just as a gun fired off and hit my leg. It was a good thing that everyone was outside but I’m sure someone would have heard the bullet. I locked the door with a spare key I had stolen from the janitor a while back in my freshman year and limped down the hallway as I made my way outside. It would be amazing right now if I could run faster (or limp faster). I could hear as Mr. Miller tried the door and I just made it to the end of the hall just as I heard the shatter of glass and then footsteps.
                As I limped outside I backed up against the wall as he ran past me.
                Sucker I smiled to myself and let the shadows engulf me as I kept to the wall of the campus. As long as there were shadows I was safe. I could feel the bullet biting my leg as it throbbed. I could see the cheerleaders practicing in the football field to my left but forced myself to keep going. I guess I won’t see any of them again, and I’ll miss out on a party tonight. Just great. I really hate the Retter, this is the second time they have found me and the first time I didn’t even know who they were. The only reason I had found out about them was some mysterious letter I got the next day explaining almost everything that was going on. I limped to my truck out in the parking lot and quickly got in and started the truck. I knew it was going to be hard on the truck pulling out so quickly instead of letting it idle for a few minutes, but I didn’t have a few minutes.
                I kept an eye out for Mr. Miller as I drove down to my dorm where Sia and everything else was. My leg was starting to go numb now and it hurt to step on the gas or brake (I managed though). Once at my dorm I quickly got out of the car and limped into the building and went up to the second floor making my leg fell like it was on fire. I fumbled with the room key when I got to Greg’s and my room and opened the door. Since the college didn’t allow dogs (yet they let people have cats) Sia was outside somewhere probably patrolling the area. I fell on the floor and cringed at the pain. I could hear Sia barking outside but I couldn’t stand up to look and see the reason for it. I took a deep breath and saw a couple small shadows around the room. I focused my energy on them and they immediately came to life and glided over to me. I looked at the very thing I used to be terrified of. The very thing that ruined my life. Now wasn’t the time to think about the past though. I reached my hand out as the shadows revolved around my hand and formed into a small unidentified object. The object suddenly became somewhat solid and with that I tried to dig out the bullet which hurt like hell. I knew I should have signed up for a medical class.
                I sighed in relief when I finally got the bullet out. I forced myself to stand up and I packed my stuff as fast as I could. I could still hear Sia barking outside until I heard the shatter of glass from the window. I swung my backpack over my shoulders and started to run out the door and ducked when I saw Mr. Miller.
                “There’s no point in running Aaron.” He laughed madly
                “Actually I was more limping then running.” I replied
                He started to say something when I heard him yell out. I peeked around the corner of the wall and saw that Sia had gotten into the building. Sia has always been a faithful dog since day one; I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her. I ran towards them as she snarled and snapped at him. I saw him bring up his gun and the shadows cane to life and slapped it out of his hand without me even doing so. I called Sia and she immediately came running after me as we went back outside to the truck. I had Sia get in first and I threw in my backpack beside her and closed the door as I got in after. I restarted the car and heard it purr as it came to life. I shifted into reverse and back up and then shifted into drive just as Mr. Miller came out of the building. As I looked in the review mirror I smiled at how he limped. I rubbed Sia’s head as she panted “Good girl.” I told her and she barked in reply as we got the hell out of the campus and then as far away from Washington as we could get in one night.Ë

                I leaned back in my seat once we came to a rest stop. I knew there probably wasn’t going to be very many hotels that would let Sia in the rooms and to be honest I wasn’t in the mood to waste time driving around looking for one. I looked over at Sia and got out and l let Sia out so she could go do her thing. The day was turning into dusk as I waited for Sia. I searched in my backpack for the bowl of Sia’s food that I packed and found it at the very bottom. I took it out and waited for Sia to come back to the truck. I looked around having this odd feeling of being watched. Then again I never liked rest stops. I sighed and leaned against the truck.
                What now? I thought Where can I go?
                Just follow the path….stick to yourself and no matter what do not get caught in the cross fire My grandfather used to say about what his father would tell him when he was my age. He always told me stories of when he was in world war two. I remembered getting another letter from my brother (It still surprises me how he found out what college I was going to) saying that he died a year ago. Grandpa Freddy (as I used to call him) and I used to be very close, almost closer then my brother and I and that was saying a lot. He was right though; all I had to do was stick to the path…but what path?
                “Woof!” I looked over and saw Sia trotting over and I opened the door for her which she jumped in and dove for the food I had got out for her. I closed the door as I got in and patted her head while she ate. I turned up the radio as it played a song that I had heard many times but only this time did it actually mean something to me.
Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think it’s a sin, yes

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you
So maybe I didn’t live in Alabama, but listening to this song I knew where I had to go; Home.Ë

My eyes drooped as I drove into what seemed the hundredth town. This town was different though….I hadn’t been here in four years. It was amazing how nothing had changed (people always talked about the town being rebuilt in some parts). Sia stuck her head out the window with her tongue hanging out and barking at the people we passed by. I laughed and knew she remembered this place too. As we drove down the road I started to remember old memories; memories I didn’t want to remember. I shook my head as I stopped at a stop light and waited for it to turn back to green.
                Ok I’m home I thought Now what genius?
                Once the light turned green I stepped on the gas lightly and grabbed the letter from my brother on the dashboard. The address in the corner read 216 Mayors St. I drove a little further and turned left at a stop sign. I looked at the houses as I drove by and found a big tan house on the corner before the street split up and more houses sat on the other side. I slowed down and saw one SUV in the driveway. I parked in front of the house and got out with Sia following my every step. I always figured my older brother would have a big house like this. I walked up the path to the house and up the porch and stopped at the door. I started to ring the doorbell when I stopped. What could I say after four years of silence? How would my brother react? Happy? Angry? Would he even care? I shouldn’t feel this way because I know I did that right thing in leaving yet the guilt was still there. Nevertheless my brother knew where I was and he never came so I should be good right? I sighed and looked down at Sia who just stared up at me with her multicolored eyes. Just by doing that though I felt a little better. I rubbed her head and took a deep breath before finally ringing the doorbell.
                At first no one answered but then a lady with curly strawberry blonde hair opened the door “Can I help you?”
                I was speechless at first. Had I made a mistake? No this was the right house…”Ah…yes. Does Terence Moore live here?”
                “Yes, who wants to know?” she asked
                I looked at here for a second and then recognized her “Becky?”
                I couldn’t believe…well I guess I could but Becky and my brother were high school sweethearts plus they’ve been friends for who knows how long. I caught the glint of a wedding ring as well so I wasn’t so surprised anymore to see that they had gotten married.
                She looked at me confused for a second and then slowly came to recognize me to “Aaron? Wha-What are you doing here?”
                “I thought I’d come see what everyone was up to.” I replied
                She laughed “What everyone was up to huh? Do you know it’s been four years since we all have heard from you? If Terence wouldn’t have found out where you were we would have thought you were dead!”
                “I know,” I replied “and I’m sorry, but my life has just been busy lately.”
                “Too busy to let your own family know that you’re alright?” she asked sternly
                “How many times to I have to say I’m sorry?”
                “At least enough times to make up the past for years.”
                I sighed “So is he here or not?”
                “No he’s at school teaching English today.”
                I rubbed the back of my neck. I should have known he wouldn’t be here to. My brother was obsessed with becoming an English teacher. At least one of us got to get through college then. We both went silent for a minute and I could hear laughing and banging upstairs “You babysitting?” I asked her
                She looked back into the house “Something like that….” She said and we went back into silence “Well,” she sighed “I guess I should let you in then. School should be over soon and I think Terence would like to talk to you when he comes back home.”
                I nodded and followed her inside as she jogged upstairs and started talking to whoever Brandon was. I lounged on the couch and felt comfortable for the first time since the past two days. I heard footsteps coming back down the stairs and I looked over to see Becky holding a toddler with light brown hair.
                “Who’s he mommy?” the little boy asked
                Mommy? I thought
                “Aaron, this is Brandon…your nephew.”Ë

                I had a nephew…That was defiantly not something I expected. As I watched him play with Sia I could see the similarities of his parents in him; the light brown hair of my brother, the light green eyes from his mother and just other things like how he would react to different things. Sia took to him very quickly as he rubbed her tummy and nudged at him.
                “Suck up.” I muttered smiling and she looked over to me for a second and then went back to Brandon
                “So what has the great Aaron been up to all these years then?” Becky asked as she came in with some snacks for us and Brandon.
                “Oh nothing much,” I replied “I’ve been going to college but I don’t know I just don’t find it interesting anymore.” I lied slyly
                It wasn’t like I could tell her the truth. In fact I haven’t told anyone about who I really am. I heard a car door shut outside and Becky smiled “He’s home, come on Brandon let’s go see daddy.”
                “Yay!!” He laughed as he stood up and ran for the door and ran outside when Becky opened the door. I stayed on the couch though. I still didn’t know what I would say to him; sorry for not getting in touch with you for four years and making you think I could have been dead, but I’m here now and everything’s all good. Yah, I can see how well things will turn out then. I scratched my forearm as it started to itch and burn; underneath my shirt was the only proof that showed I was different from the rest of the world…well that and the powers that come along with it.
                I watched as the door opened and Brandon came rushing in and talking so quickly that no one could understand him “and I played with my toys, and and I went on a rocket ship!!”
                I could hear my brother laugh “Is that so?”
                “Yah! And I met uncle Aaron!”
                I could see the confusion of his face as he looked down at his son and he then looked up his eyes widening and stopping dead at the door. Everything went quite as he stared from Becky to Brandon to Sia and then back to me. I laughed to cover my nerves “Jeeze Terence, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
                He stared at me for a second longer and then shook his head “…Aaron? W…what are you doing here?”
                “Becky asked the same thing,” I smirked “I thought I’d just stop by to see my brother.”
                “Just stop by? For Christ’s sake Aaron it’s been four years! You think you can just come and stop by whenever you want? Who do you think you are?!”
                I sighed. I should have known he’d be mad “Well I guess I’ll just get out of your hair then.”
                His shoulders slumped “No…it’s just that there’s been a lot happening at school lately; with a teacher’s death, papers to grade, and un-behaved students…”
                “Wait,” Becky interrupted “What happened?”
                “Mr. Jordon died last night from a heart attack.”
                “Who’s Mr. Jordon?” I asked
                “The health and fitness teacher, you should remember him.” He replied
                “Who died?” Brandon asked and Becky picked him up and told him it was nothing to worry about and took him into the kitchen.
                I looked down trying to remember him when it all started to flood back. He was my football coach back in high school. I remembered him telling me that I was one of his favorite players which surprised me since we usually yelled at each other most of the time.
                “So…Washington….good colleges.” My brother said unsure of what to say
                “Not as good as you think.” I muttered remembering the “incident” with Mr. Miller. I still had a little bit of a limp in my leg thanks to him!
                “How long do you plan on staying?”
                “Hopefully for awhile but I don’t know yet.”
                “You have somewhere to stay?”
                “Not yet no….”
                He sighed “Well we have an extra room if you and Sia want to stay here.”
                “Really?” I asked surprised; I didn’t expect him to take me in but I shook my head “No it’s alright; don’t let us be a bother to you and your family.”
                “You guys won’t be a bother, besides we are still brothers after all. Plus Brandon has always been talking about wanting a dog.” He smiled
                I sighed and nodded “Thank you, but are you sure your wife will agree?”
                He laughed “A lot to take in for being gone so long isn’t it? She’ll be fine with it I’m sure.”
                “You have no idea.” I scoffed as he patted my back and led me upstairs.Ë

                 “Get up uncle Aaron!” I heard a high pitch voice as I felt Brandon crawl up onto the bed and sit on my back. I groaned and covered my head with the pillow. I could hear Sia barking downstairs and immediately tensed up. I started to sit up as Brandon fell off of me and onto the bed and laughed. I ruffed up his hair and walked out of the room and out into the hallway as he followed me out. We walked over to the stairs where he grabbed my leg and held on as tightly as he could. I yawned and looked down and couldn’t help but smile down at him.
                “Come on now let uncle Aaron go.” I told him
                He shook his head and as I started walking again he laughed even more. I heard footsteps come up the stairs and I stopped but I then relaxed when I saw that it was only Becky. She smiled and Brandon let go of me immediately and went over to her “It’s amazing how accepting he is of you already.”
                “Yah it is.” I replied as we went downstairs where my brother was fixing his tie while talking on the phone. I just laughed “what’s the occasion bro?”
                “Have to look professional for work don’t I?” he said after he hung up
                “I guess if you want to seem stuck up.” I replied
                He shook his head as Becky helped him with his tie. I could have a family like this to if I wanted but I knew I couldn’t (not that I wanted one anyways). When Becky finished he looked over at me “So what are your plans for today?”
                “I don’t know yet.” I replied
                “Want a job?”
                “No.”
                “Aaron I know you just got back but I just got done talking with my boss. For some da-“ he stopped for a second when he realized Brandon was in the room “For some reason they can’t find a substitute for Mr. Jordon. Aaron you would be helping me out a lot if you took over for at least one day.”
                “Why can’t you?”
                “Because I don’t have time! I have English classes to take care of!”
                I sighed in reply “Do I have to?”
                “If you want me to forgive you for the past four years yes.”
                “Terence…” I sighed
                “Come on it’s one day.” He said
                I looked from him to Becky and then dropped my head and turned around “Fine…I’ll go get ready.” I muttered as Sia pushed past me as she ran upstairs.Ë

                I leaned back in the seat as I looked out the window as my brother drove us to the school. It reminded me of the old times.
                “Why couldn’t I drive?”
                “Because you freak me out when you drive.”
                I laughed “I’m not that bad of a driver.”
                “Says the one who ran a stop light.”
                “Hey give me a break it was my first time driving!”
                “Which almost killed us.”
                We both started laughing “I can’t believe it’s been four years…” I said
                “Yah….” He said and looked over “Mom’s missed you, you know, the rest of us have to…”
                “No sap crap ok?” I replied with a smirk “It makes me feel like a chick.”
                He grinned and went back to paying attention to the road. As we neared the school memories of giving kids swirlies and taping nerds with duct tape to the trees brought a smile to my face. I was such a jerk but it was always amusing to me, so I never felt any guilt about it. The only thing I felt bad for was leaving Sia alone but I’m sure she’ll be fine with Brandon. As Terence pulled into the parking lot we got out and walked into the school. The halls, the trophy case, the pictures of the old principles were all the same. Was there anything that had changed besides the people? Terence led me to the principal’s office (another thing that was familiar to me) and we stood in front of the desk as a black haired secretary was talking on the phone. She smiled and waved at Terence when she saw him.
                “Come on.” He told me as we then walked past the desk and into the principal’s office. We both stood in the room and I looked around seeing that something did change in this school after all. The chair turned around from behind the desk to show a woman with burnet hair probably in her thirties. Her dark brown eyes looked at the two of us as if she was analyzing who we were like a terminator.
                “Can I help you Mr. Moore?” she asked my brother
                “Yes I believe I’ve found you a substitute for Mr. Jordon for today.”
                “Is that so? And you are?” she asked staring at me
                “Aaron, Aaron Moore.”
                Her eyes sharpened as she looked from me and then to my brother “You two are family?”
                “Yes.” My brother replied
                She sighed and then leaned back “Do you have a résumé or a college degree?”
                “I was in my junior year at Washington State University, but I decided that I’d have to transfer due to differences with a teacher. I thought I’d be able to continue my student teacher program here when my brother mentioned you guys had lost a teacher, which I’m deeply sorry for.”
                My brother looked over at me; he knew I was lying because he knew I hated anything having to do with school. He probably thought I wouldn’t accept the job offer but what else is there to do? I got to keep myself occupied for at least one day before I could find something else.
                The room was silent for a moment and the sighed “I suppose I’ll have to let you since you seem to be the only choice….it’s gym 2 on this floor across from the art room. Your break will be during lunch. Your first class is when the first bell rings. Don’t make me regret for letting you teach my students. Are we clear?” she asked as she handed me some clothes, a whistle, a clipboard, and keys to the gym and supplies
                I smiled “Crystal.”Ë

                As we walked down the hall my brother stopped me “Please don’t mess this up ok?”
                “How can I mess up Gym class?” I asked
                He shook his head “Just don’t lose your head in it ok? They’re kids not monkeys.”
                “What’s the difference?”
                He sighed “Just don’t be an ass ok? I have to get to class before the bell rings but I’ll see you at break alright?”
                “Kay, kay.” I replied as we parted and I went to the locker room in the gym to get changed. The locker room still smelled of sweat but I just tried to ignore it as I got dressed in the dorky suit. I looked in the mirror at my reflection and laughed.
“You have got to be kidding me.” I said as I looked like a baggy banana
 I shook my head and walked back out to the gym where I waited impatiently for the students to barge in. I found a cage of basketballs and opened it up with the keys Hanna (the principal (I found out her name from other teachers)) had given me. I tested them and took out one out as I set down the rest of the stuff. I shot a couple hoops before the first few students started to come in from the locker room (there must be more than one entrance).
“Who the hell are you?” one of the students asked and I immediately knew they were a “jock”
I threw the basket ball towards him (which he caught) and replied “My name is Aaron Moore; Mr. Moore to all of you, and I’m your substitute teacher for the day.”Ë

No comments:

Post a Comment