Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Anna/Aaron (3)

I walked out of the store shaking my head. Tavin was such a weird guy. I wonder if he always acts like that? As I walked out of the store I saw two men in dark clothing walking down the sidewalk. One of them looked over when they saw me and tipped their hat to me. It was funny them wearing hats at night….it must keep the street light glare out of their eyes. I walked down the street and pulled out my new book. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I’ve heard the movie was good but I’ve never had the time to see it. I just figured I could at least read the book while the Frenik twins were sleeping when I babysit them this Friday.
I put in my earphones and went through my music library before settling on “Stereo Love” by Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina. I thought about earlier at school. I was surprised I hadn’t run into Savannah and her puppets today. I knew I would tomorrow though; I wonder what she’ll put me through then? Tripping me in the hall? Slamming my books on the floor? Pouring her drink on me? She’ll probably talk about how I am so weird and that I shouldn’t have been born like always. Yep I was the weird girl at school which I didn’t let get. To me that’s what makes me unique (at least my dad says so). I was planning on going to see my mom at the hospital today but things had gotten so busy at the animal shelter; with the animals going out of control it was hard getting them new homes. I sighed as my house started to come into view. When I got up to it I saw that my father was just pulling up in his black grand am. As he pulled into the driveway I waved at him and went inside where I hung up my coat on the coat rack, took a right down the hall way, and through the living room that led to my room. I opened the door to reveal the mural I had painted of a field and mountains over my bed. On the sides of the walls hung up more paintings and drawings I had made during the past years. In the left corner of my room sat my little library where I set my new book between the others. On my dresser sat a couple news articles with topics ranging from the animal shelter news, comic strips, or things happening in town or in a different country. Most of the articles lately have been talking about deaths and disappearances.
I heard the door shut and peeked out of my room to see my dad hanging up his coat “Kind of a late night isn’t it?” my father asked noticing me watching him
“I didn’t have time earlier.”
“Find any good books?”
“Just one.”
“Yah? Which one?”
“Shutter Island.”
“Ah, I remember that one; a good book that one is, I think you’ll enjoy it.”
“Yah.” I said coming out of my room and following him into the kitchen “Hey dad?”
“Yah hun?”
“…Do you know how mom’s doing?”
He went silent. I knew he didn’t like talking about her…ever since that night and with her having to stay at a mental hospital I knew it had to be hard on him because it was hard on me too. He just ruffed up my hair and smiled though “Why don’t you get to bed okay? I’m sure you’ve had a long day.” I looked down at the floor and nodded. I wish he would at least talk to me about her, but he keeps on just avoiding the subject….why? Does he know something that I don’t? I should just stop asking about her and just let it be, but I couldn’t help but wonder how my mom had gone insane over a break-in. I mean I know she would have been shaken up because I we all were for awhile…
“Nova?” he called and I looked back
Nova was my middle name. My mom named me Anika but my dad liked the name Nova better so that is just what he has always called me. “Yah dad?”
“…sleep tight.” He managed a smile before disappearing down the hall
Don’t let the bed bugs bite I thought in reply.
I walked back into my room where I flopped on my bed and looked up at the ceiling which had a painting of Melvin holding his fins over a crystal ball. I smiled; it was my favorite piece in my entire room. I looked over to the front of my bed and scooted over and watched Melvin swimming around in his fish bowl.
“So what’s new today Melvin?” I asked the little fish and he just stared blankly at me
Melvin gets these visions from time to time about the future. I know it sounds weird but it’s true! One time he predicted that it would rain when on the news it was supposed to be sunny and of course Mel ended up being right. I haven’t told anyone about his powers because it was our little secret. Sometimes it was hard to tell what he had saw but I would just draw a few words and objects on pieces of paper until I guessed right or I would find out later the next day or two. I walked over to my sketch book and brought it back over to my bed where I wrote down the words animal, person, weather, and object. I cut them out into little cards and held them up to him which he swam closer to look at them. He floated for a second and then floated to his right. I looked at the card and it read person and I started to take them away before he then swam over a little bit to the card that read animal. I laughed “Well which is it Mel?”
I held the two cards back up to him and he just floated in the middle not moving. I gave him a questioning look and then sighed “Ok you’re the one with the abilities here.” I then took the cards away and tried to think of my next questions. So something to do with an animal and a person. I drew what looked like sharp teeth and then non sharp teeth symbolizing if the animal was vicious or not. He swam over to the non. “Well that’s good.” I smiled. I then looked over at the person card and wrote down two hands shaking and two apart to symbolize if I knew the person or not. He swam over to let me know that I didn’t know the person…. I then drew the symbol for a male and a female and he swam over to the female. ”Hmm, gosh I wish you could talk but something to do with an non vicious animal and a girl I don’t know….how do they relate? Does someone get attacked?” I asked drawing another picture but he just swam away from the picture “Does someone get a new pet?” still a no “Do they meet a stray?” Mel wavered on that one for a moment and then swam in a circle. Ok so something about a girl and a stray….”Is the girl a stray?” It would make since because some people do probably consider homeless people as animals. Mel’s reply was yes to so I would then have to keep a lookout for this poor girl. Maybe I can bring some extra food tomorrow just in case I see her during lunch or after school.
I heard a knocking on my door then and ducked under the covers of my bed. My father opened the door “Good night Nova…” he smiled showing me that he could hear me up and about. I just smiled innocently though “Night.” He just shook his head and turned off the light and closed the door. With the lights off the plastic glow in the dark stars I had put up around the room started to glow. I still kept wondering what Melvin’s vision could mean but I would find out sooner or later like I always did. I sighed and got out of bed where I dressed into my pajamas and took off my wooden heart necklace that my mom had given me before dad took her into the hospital. I saw the music box that she had brought back from her business trip a few years back (she used to work for some big stock company so she had to travel a lot). I lifted the lid as it started to play soft sweet notes that all form so effortlessly. I had never heard of the song before even when trying to search it up. When I asked my mom she said it was just some old riddle made into a lullaby. I walked back over to my bed where I slide underneath the covers and closed my eyes. A few minutes of silence and I was fast asleep.Ñ


I sat at the table thinking about today. At first I thought that kid was just being a smart ass or something but when I saw that Josh kid or whatever his name was fall down like that I knew something was up. Then when the kid had somehow gotten past me when he shouldn’t have been able to, plus him even making the shot in the first place…nah that was a just a lucky shot. That still didn’t explain the mark though. Could it be that he’s like me to? Is it possible that there might be more people out there with powers? Despite that I should have been more careful too, Terence was not happy about the broken basket ball hoop. It wasn’t my fault though!....Ok so maybe it was a little bit, but it’s not like I can just shut off my powers any time I want. It was kind of funny thinking about it though now. Seeing all their faces. I smiled at the thought.
“What are you smiling about?” Terence asked flatly
I sighed “I told you the bolts must have been loose. It’s not my fault your boss can’t afford sturdy hoops.” I stopped for a second wondering if that sounded kind of dirty and then shrugged it off when nothing came.
“You know that’s coming out of your salary right?”
“I have a salary?”
“Why don’t you two just eat before the food gets cold?” Becky said changing the subject
A few minutes passed by as we ate when I looked up “Hey Terence…”
“Yah?”
“Do you know that Trevor kid?”
“Trevor?” he prompted
“something with a B.”
He looked at me for a second trying to think who I could be talking about and then it came to him “Oh, you mean Tavin Blair.”
“Yah him.”
“What about him?”
“Oh nothing he was just in my gym class and a couple of the guys were messing around with him.”
“I see…” he said “Well I’ll have to talk to them about that tomorrow.”
“So what’s his story?”
“Why would you want to know? He reminded you of someone you used to bully to?”
“No he’s much more of a…hey…I wasn’t that bad.”
He laughed “You were the worst. In a matter of fact I have a student who is almost a replica of you.”
“And who would that be?”
“John Alinson”
I remembered that he was the one who fell when trying to do a layup. “Oh I was way much better looking than him.”
“Yah the girls just drooled over you.”
“With these rock star good looks,” I smiled “rock hard abs, and a butt like granite? Who wouldn’t?”
Terence just rolled his eyes as I laughed “I’m kidding, give me some slack I’ve grown up a little bit over the past few years.”
“Sure you have.” He replied
I heard Sia underneath the table and snuck a piece of chicken underneath the table as she took it out of my hand. Of course my brother noticed though “Don’t feed the dog chicken!” he complained
“I didn’t!” I lied defensively 
“Will you ever stop acting like a child?”
“I am not acting like a child!”
“Yes you are.”
                “You’re the one making a big deal out of this so you’re the one acting childish!”
                “No you are!”
                “No I’m not!”
                “Yes you are!”
                “I know what you are but what am I?”
                “I’m the child!” Brandon yelled then and we all looked over at his smiling face and started laughing
                Becky sighed as she stood up and picked up Brendon “I live with four year olds. Say goodnight Brandon.”
                “Good night Brandon! I’m the kid! I’m the kid!” he laughed and she chuckled “Now look what you two have done.” She said to us “Now you’ve gotten him all wired up.” We all stopped when we heard scratching at the door and Sia got up and ran over towards the door. Becky put Brandon down as she walked over and looked out. I got up and grabbed Sia’s collar holding her back as she whined for me to let her go. Becky opened the door and tusked “It’s just a poor stray.” She said as she bent down and picked up something that turned out to be a cat. At the sight of it Sia started barking madly and pulling me over towards Becky and the stray. She got out of my hold and jumped on Becky making the cat jump out of her arms and scratching her. I chased after Sia as she chased the cat around the house while Becky and Terence tried to help. Brandon was just laughing away as all of this was going on before the cat ran up to him and curled up into his lap. “Sia heal!” I yelled for the thousandth time and I saw her stop in front of Brandon and glower at the cat as a growl formed in her throat.
                “I thought Sia liked cats.” Terence asked me
                “I thought so to…” I said as I walked over and grabbed Sia’s collar and dragged her back “Bad dog. Bad.” She whined at me in reply “Maybe we should just feed it and kick it outside before Sia does get a hold of it.”
                “We can’t just leave it out on the streets,” Becky said “Why don’t you just hook up Sia outside on a chain or something?”
                “Are you kidding me?” I scoffed “I’m not leaving her outside all night!”
                “M-Mommy can the kitty stay? Pleeeeeeeease?”
                I could hear Sia give a soft growl that only I could hear and I pulled up a little bit on her collar to quiet her down. Becky looked at Brandon and then to me “Are you really going to tell your nephew that the cat can’t stay? Can Sia at least stay in your room?”
                I looked down at Sia and then at Brandon and then the cat. Its eyes stared up at me and my arm started to burn (probably because I ran into the fricken stove while it was still on) Sorry girl, but I can’t leave you outside all night. “Fine…” I said and Brandon cheered hugging the cat tighter “Careful Brandon she might need to be cleaned up.”
                Sia barked and I led her upstairs and into my room. Once I got her into my room I shut the door and sighed. My arm was now just tingling now. I pat Sia on the head and flopped on the bed. Sia jumped up with me and laid on my back. I felt exhausted from teaching gym all day. Damn kids always wined how things aren’t fair and crap. Thank god it was for only one day…yet that kid had the same mark as me…If he was the one to make that kid fall…no it had to be a coincidence. People don’t have the same marks like that though I argued with myself.  The least you can do is find out if he really is like you and tell him what’s going on. No, the kid isn’t my responsibility. I was alone when I found, why should I help some kid who can’t even fight back with the jocks? I sighed I can’t just let them find him though, I would feel guilty if I saw in the paper about his disappearance and knowing I could have done something….Oh I’ll just talk to my brother tomorrow.
I closed my eyes for a second and felt something tickle my nose a few seconds later. I opened my eyes and saw the shadows floating and gliding all over the room. I groaned and covered my head with my pillow. “Just go away…” I told them but of course they didn’t. I swear they have a mind of their own sometimes. I felt Sia’s nails scrap my back as she jumped off the bed and I looked over to where she was staring out the window. She just stared at the window for a second and then jumped at it barking. I heard the hiss of the cat and got up. The shadows immediately faded back into their corners and I walked over to the window and without giving the orange cat a second glance I shut the blinds and went back over to the bed.
                “Stupid cat.” I muttered as Sia came back over towards me and jumped up on the bed and again laid on my back. I heard her whine as she put her head down and I just closed my eyes. At first it was hard to find sleep but eventually I felt myself begin to drift and I then pulled under into a somewhat deep sleep.Ë

                And again I was running. Why I was running of course was obvious by the sound of gun shots as they flew past me, except the scenery had changed this time. Instead of the woods I was running in a field. No trees or log to duck from their shots, my only chance was to just keep running and hope to not feel the stinging bite of a bullet. I could hear them closing the distance again and as they got closer my legs started to get more swore. I heard one of them yell out something and the next second I tripped on a rock and fell face first into the ground. I started to get up but fell back down when my ankle wouldn’t allow it. I grounded my teeth and tried to get up again but when I did they had closed around me.
                “We told you, you couldn’t run forever Aaron,” The one in the front smiled
                “Who said I would keep running?” I asked through gritted teeth
                The woman smirked and rose her gun at me “Your kind really shouldn’t overestimate yourselves…”
                My eyes flew open right before she fired the gun. I could hear Sia’s steady breathing as she was now laying at the bottom of the bed. The shadows were still floating around the room as I looked around. I reclosed my eyes and waited for sleep to overtake me again, but the shadows wouldn’t let me. One tickled under my nose while the rest closed around me. I started to get the feeling of being claustrophobic and tried to brush them away. It was no use in making them go away this late at night. I kept on brushing them away and ended up having to sit up. I walked over to the window as they followed me and opened it to get some fresh air. I heard Sia get up and walk over to the door and the shadows started tugging on my shirt. I slapped them away but my hand just went through them trying. Sia started growling then and I heard a soft thump downstairs.
                “What the…” I started to say but Sia just kept growling. I walked over to the door and opened it slowly while keeping Sia from getting out. I shut the door just before she could and walked silently down the hall. We told you, you couldn’t run forever Aaron…. The woman’s voice played in my head and I tensed up. Of course they found me again they always do somehow, but this time I wasn’t going to run. I had to get them out of my brother’s house and away from his family…my family. I grabbed a baseball bat that was leaning against the wall by the stairs and stopped to listen. It sounded like they were going through papers or personal belongings as I heard doors silently close. It could be a burglar to I thought as well as I steadily made my way down the stairs. I saw one shadow come to life and smiled thinking of the expression on the person’s face when they saw what shadows can really do.
I could now see the person going through a stack of papers and recognized to be old family photo albums of when mom first started taking pictures of our family. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a couple news ones of Becky and Brandon in there. I’m surprised that Terence even kept one. I gripped the bat even tighter as I made it down the stairs and I saw by the person’s red hair that it was a woman. I shook my head, even a woman can be a threat. No exceptions. As I snuck up to the couch where she was looking through pictures Terence and I standing in front of Mount Rushmore during our vacation sixteen years ago.
                Before I knew it I was on the couch with a hand holding my throat and catlike green eyes staring down at me. She looked at the picture in the book and then to me “Hmm not too bad looking are you?”
I smiled and the shadows immediately surrounded her making her back up off the couch. The mark on my arm was burning as it started to glow but at the moment I didn’t care “Thanks sweetheart, but I’m not into chicks who break into houses and go through things they shouldn’t.”Ë

No comments:

Post a Comment