Sunday, May 29, 2011

Anna/Aaron (15)


I was able to hold back the tears until I entered into one of the bedrooms. I shut the door and slid down onto the floor. My tears came out in choked sobs.


“Though you know what? I’d rather have a drunken uncle then a murdering father!”


My father isn’t a bad person….no matter how many times I tried to tell myself that everyone else told me different. I wasn’t going to believe it though. My dad has to have an explanation for all of this he has to! I know him better than anyone else…or so I thought. I want to so badly to prove all of them wrong, show them my dad is not the monster they think him to be…but I can’t change people.


My hand felt like pins and needles from slapping Tavin. Deep down I knew that I shouldn’t have done that but I’m just so tired of people judging me and my family. When I first met him he just seemed so different from all the other guys…like he actually had a shard of decency. There was a knocking on the door then “Anna?” I heard
Amber ask “Will you open up?”


I stayed silent in reply. I didn’t feel like talking anymore, maybe I should just start being quieter like Casper…


“Anna please, Tavin didn’t mean it.” She continued


Yes he did I thought and wiped the new tears with my sleeve He wouldn’t have said it if he didn’t…


I heard her sigh and her footsteps walk away from the door. I stood up and walked over to one of the beds where I flopped down onto my stomach. Ever have that feeling that you wished you could be in your own bed as if that would be the only way you’d be able to relax? If I closed my eyes I could imagine being back in my colorful room and Melvin at the end of my bed swimming in his bowl. I imagined my dad coming in smiling and telling me to get up…Come on Nova time to get up, wouldn’t want an old man to beat you to the door would you? His voice echoed in my head.


“Five more minuets…” I muttered into the pillow


When I opened my eyes though he, Melvin, and the room were gone. Replaced with a bare desk in a cream colored room trimmed in light wood. All the bright colors I once knew were replaced by dull ones. I wish I at least had a piece of paper and a pencil…then I could at least occupy myself with something to do…


I sighed and buried my face in one of the pillows. I heard the door open and looked over to see Casper closing the door behind him. I sat up slowly as he came over and sat on the edge of the bed. He gave me a sad smile and I looked into his comforting blue eyes and rested my head against his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me


“So I guess you heard about what happened?” I asked in a bitter tone without meaning to.


He either acted not to notice or he understood but he replied in his usual soft voice “Yah...”


“I just…I just wish Tavin could see how my father really is…I know you all think of my father as a monster like
the rest of the Retter but I swear he’s not…he’s always tried to do what was best for our family. He wouldn’t do something without having a good reason…”


“Anna I believe you I do but…it’s just hard to believe that the Retter could be any different. We all have lost so much because of them….you saw what your dad tried to do to Tavin back at your house…”


I knew he was partially right, but the man back at my house wasn’t my father. Not at first at least. My father couldn’t even stand watching hunting shows let alone the news talking about killings. As I told myself before though my father isn’t the man I thought he was, but I wouldn’t…I couldn’t let go of the gentle and kind man I once knew to be my father. If he was truly a killer like the rest of the Retter though…wouldn’t he have picked killing Tavin over saving me then? I remember the man with the knife trying to stab Tavin and then the one who begged Fawn to let me go. Two different men in one body…but which one was my dad? Which one was the lie and which one was the real one?


“Anna?” I heard Casper say and I snapped back to reality and looked up at him shaking his head “maybe I shouldn’t have said anything…”


“No,” I replied “I’m glad you did, I needed someone to talk to…thank you…for everything.” He looked down at me with his light blue eyes and smiled in reply. We stared at each other in a few moments of silence until we heard the door open and Casper’s hand dropped from my shoulder.


“I’m interrupting something aren’t I?” Tiny smiled


“No.” Casper and I replied quickly


Tiny’s smile just got bigger “Oh, ok…anyways you guys better get out here before all the food’s gone. Also Sparks back and he’s mad so it’s probably a good idea not to talk to him right now.”


Casper nodded and stood up and left the room. Tiny looked back as he brushed past her and then back at me still smiling “You two are so cute.” She laughed and left the room before I could reply. When the door shut I sighed and fell back.


Just great I thought Now Tiny thinks there’s something going on between me and Casper. We’re just friends! That’s all! Gosh does everyone have to assume that if I’m with a guy that I like him as more than a friend?


I shook my head and got of the bed and walked out of the room through the door that led into the living room that connected all the other rooms that everyone was staying in. Pretty much everyone was eating Chinese food on the couch or on the floor watching TV. Spark was over sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen area alone, I noticed how the only two people were missing were Aaron and Fawn…I wonder if that’s why Spark’s mad?


I caught Tavin’s gaze as he looked up from eating his noodles as he sat next to Amber on the floor. I looked away quickly and walked over to Casper who was getting a small portion of the food that was left. I grabbed one of the paper plates and copied what Casper did pretty much. I passed by the broccoli when Casper looked over “Don’t like broccoli?”


I shook my head “No…it makes me think of eating a tree…and then I think about getting splinters in my mouth and it just ruins…my appetite.” I said and almost regretted that I said anything but Casper just smiled an un-judging smile and continued on filling his plate.


“You guys might as well finish it up…” I looked up to see Spark looking over at me and Casper


“I’m not that hungry…” I answered and Casper nodded his head in agreement


After finishing dishing up Casper and I walked over towards the others and I sat on his left keeping my distance from Tavin. I looked down at my food and realized it was my dad’s favorite without even realizing it before. It was sweet and sour chicken. I looked over at Casper who was slurping up a noodle and I tried to keep myself from laughing. He looked over at me and raised his eyebrows.


“You eat funny.” I smiled


“Hey you guys want to see a trick my dad used to do?” Sonic laughed


Chem laughed in reply “Go for it.”


“Eww no!” Tiny yelled getting up “I’ve been trying to get that out of my head for years ever since he first showed us!”


“What is it?” Tavin laughed        


We all watched as Sonic picked up a noodle from his plate and put it up to his nose and he sniffed as it disappeared up his nose. At first I didn’t know what to think until he started to pull it out of his mouth.


“Oh my god!” Twilight yelled jumping off the couch and running into one of the bedrooms


Chem seemed to be studying Sonic as though he was a lab species men “That is one of the most grotesque things I’ve seen someone do…” he said in a serious tone then burst out laugh “Dude you are so messed up!”


“Whatever you say Brain.”


“Yah yah Pinky.”


I gave Casper a confused look and he replied “One channel in Colorado a couple years back.”


“Ah.” I replied understanding what he meant


I looked over to where Spark was sitting and saw him get up and exit the room. Chem and Sonic both looked over as well “I wonder what’s got him in such a bad mood?” Sonic asked


“I don’t know but you better not tell him.” Chem replied


“Tell him what?” Bryn asked


Chem let out a sigh “Ok…but if I’m going to tell you all this you’d better not tell Spark.”


“Why wouldn’t we tell him?”


“Trust me, I would tell him right now but the mood he seems to be in it’s for his own good we don’t tell him for the time being…that includes you too Prissy.”


“Will you stop calling me that?!” She snapped at him


“Nope,” He replied and looked at all of us as we nodded in agreement to keep silent for whatever reasons Chem had “Ok…so I cracked Aaron’s phone password awhile ago and you’re not going to believe what I found…” he said as we all waited in anticipation to find out who would have called Aaron. Usually I wouldn’t care but to be honest I didn’t want to be left out on knowing things around here “I looked into his voice messages and found this weird message that was left a couple of hours ago…I think probably a few minutes before we sent you down to get it…” He said as he looked at Tavin “But here I’ll have you guys listen to it and tell me what you think…” he said pulling out the phone and the next second he was replaying the message back to us.


“Hey Aaron,” A guy spoke with a German accent  “Erna said for me to tell you need to stop messing around and get to work. You still have a job to do you know. I told her to give you some slack though because I say to her “Now Erna… Rom ist auch nicht an einem Tag erbaut worden” but you know how she is ha ha ha, but just remember the consequences if you don’t finish this job Aaron…We’re friends and all Aaron but orders are orders…I can’t keep on protecting your family forever…Viel Erfolg!”


The message ended and we all were silent….I think we all had the same thought though; Aaron was with the Retter? Even I was surprised…


“It would make sense…” Bryn said “it wasn’t uncommon for the Retter to threaten a Chosen to work for them back when I was with them.”


“Still though….” Tavin spoke up “I could read his mind as clear as the rest of you…”


“Yes but what if he’s only hiding the important stuff?” Sonic asked “It’s not uncommon to hide certain things from people like you either…he could be just showing what he wants you to see…”


“I don’t know but I need to sit on this awhile longer before we all go telling Spark. I don’t trust Aaron but I just can’t picture him as one of the Retter let alone speak German.” Chem said


We all nodded “So what are we going to do then?” Tiny asked


“Like Chem told you; keep quiet…” Sonic replied “try not be too suspicious that we know anything.”


Chem nodded in agreement “I’ll give Aaron back his phone and act like I didn’t find anything and we’ll just keep an eye on him for awhile until we know what’s really going on for sure.”


“You know what Spark will do if he finds out that we didn’t tell him in the first place.” Twilight replied


“Well sorry to say but I really don’t care; I don’t want to risk him killing the guy if Aaron’s innocent.”


“Which I really doubt he is.” Twilight answered bitterly and I rolled my eyes.


We all went silent again and went back to watching TV. One of Jurassic Park movies were on but I wasn’t really paying attention to it. I just kept on thinking about that message…I recognized the last thing the Retter said to mean that he wished success for Aaron. One reason because my dad used to say that to me during semester tests for school….but I just couldn’t see Aaron being one of the Retter. Everyone said it was possible though and I hardly knew the guy anyways…then again they didn’t know my father that well as they still judged him. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.Ñ



I couldn’t help hiding my smile as I stood up and looked around. I don’t think I’m going to see Fawn the same ever again after tonight. I sighed as I looked across the pound, I remember coming here with my friends during Christmas break when I was sixteen. Back then the pound was frozen over and we all dared each other to race across it…good times.


“So I guess I’m not the ass as you think me to be?” I asked looking back at Fawn


“No you are…just not as much.” She replied with a smile but it disappeared faded and I knew why. Spark. I didn’t regret
what we did though and to be honest I didn’t care what Spark would do if he found out. Fawn was…different…from other girls I’ve met (I would never say that out loud though). Maybe one of the reasons was because I didn’t have to really hide who I was…and yet there were some things that I couldn’t even tell Fawn. Not yet at least.


I extended my hand towards her “Ready to go?”


She nodded and walked towards me. I took her hand in mind and brushed a strand of hair back from her face “and don’t worry…you’re not the bossy bitch I used to think you were either.” I laughed as she hit me in the chest


“I take back what I said earlier.”


“You can’t take back what’s already been said,” I grinned “but nice try.”


“Are we going or not?” She asked getting annoyed


“Aww you’re so cute when you get mad.” I smiled and kissed her on the forehead as the shadows consumed us. I felt her cling to me again as the ground left our feet for a few seconds “I’ll never let go.” I laughed mocking the Titanic movie. I don’t care what the kid thinks the only reason that movie was any good was because the main chic was hot.


Once the ground came back the first things she did was hit me “Jeeze so aggressive lately.” I smirked and she rolled her eyes but I could see the smile she was trying to hide “don’t worry though…I won’t tell him if you don’t.”


Her almost smile faded completely and her eyes hardened but I just grinned “If eyes could kill…”


She started to reply when she stopped “You’re bleeding…”


I gave her a confused look “I am?” I asked and rubbed under my nose and saw blood on my finger “Oh…so I am. You must have hit me when trying to steal my shirt.” I grinned


“Shut up.” She sighed as started walking back towards the hotel as I followed after her. As we neared the entrance I saw a figure leaning against the wall.


“Hey!” I laughed “You made it back alright after all Spark Plug!” He just glared at me in reply though “Kitty here ha-”


“Shut. Up.”  He growled


“Shut down.” I replied still grinning as we reached him


The next second my back hit the brick wall “You think you’re really funny don’t you?” Spark Plug snapped


“No I don’t…” I replied seriously at first but the grin just came right back “I think I’m hilarious.”


He raised up his fist and I got ready for him to hit me but Fawn came up and grabbed his arm “Spark no.”


“No,” I told her as he looked back at me “let him…I’ll even give you a free shot…”


He glared at me for a few seconds and let go of my shirt and took a step back “Are you alright?” He asked turning to Fawn


“Yah.” She said


“Hey,” I replied raising up my hands “if it makes you feel any better she wouldn’t shut up about leaving you behind.”


“Maybe you shouldn’t have kidnapped her then.” He snapped at me


“Kidnap is such a cruel word”


“What would you call it then?”


“I would say I was more so borrowing her for a short amount of time.” I smirked


“She didn’t even want to go with you!” He yelled


“Yah and I bet she just wanted to stay with you.” I said sarcastically


“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” He questioned taking a few steps towards me


“Guys…” I heard Fawn say but ignored her


“All I’m saying is at least I can get her to stay with me, sure she might complain, but she never actually leaves….”


“Like you give her a choice.”


“And you do?” I asked “Tell me Spark who’s been the one who keeps on bringing her back. Better question who’s the one who makes her want to leave? Like I said before…some leader you are when no one wants to be around you.”


Before I knew it I was on the ground and I sat up and rubbed my jaw. I should have seen that coming.


“Spark!” Fawn yelled


“I’m sorry Fawn but I’m tired of trying to be nice to him.”


“Yah…” I answered “Me too.” And rammed him into the ground “and Spark? You hit like a girl.” I said and punched him across the jaw before I heard Fawn yelling and trying to pull me off. I felt Spark’s foot on my chest then and fell back onto the ground as he got back up. I got up quickly but before I could hit him again Fawn stood out in between us “Stop!” She yelled at both of us but I just glared at Spark as he did the same to me “You two are acting like idiots!”


“Your opinion not mine.” I replied


“Why don’t you just shut up?” Spark snapped


“Why don’t you?”


Spark started too replied when Fawn yelled “Why don’t you both shut up?!”


“Fawn…” Sparked started to say but Fawn interrupted him


“No Spark….you know what? You two go all at each other all you want but I’m not just going to stand here and watch
while you do…” she said as she backed up and started to walk off


“Fawn!” Spark yelled after her and gave me one last glare before going after her. I took in a deep breath as I tried to calm
down. There goes my oh so good of a mood.Ë


I woke up the next morning with a swore jaw and chest. I sat up in the van seat and my head started throbbing. Damn what happened last night? This was like a replay of the morning of exams while I was in college. I popped my neck and got out of the car with the sun feeling too bright for my eyes. I reached for my phone in my pocket to find it wasn’t there…Oh yah the group still had it…I should probably get that back before they find anything. I heard barking then and I squinted my eyes through the bright sun to see Sia running up to me.


“Hey girl.” I replied as she jumped up on me and I scratched behind her ear


“She hasn’t been able to leave me alone until now it seems,” I heard someone reply and looked up to see Noah walking over towards us “Dude you look like shit what happened last night?”


I let out a yawn “You know I don’t even know and if I did I wouldn’t tell you.”


He let out a laugh then “Wait…so you’re telling me you don’t remember anything from last night?”


“No.” I sighed


“Well in that case you still owe me a hundred dollars from pocker last night.”


“Ha ha very funny,” I replied “you want to know how I know that’s a lie? One….I don’t play poker…and two…even if I did


I sure as hell wouldn’t play with you.” I said as I pushed past him.


“Yah I wouldn’t either.” He answered


“Has she been fed yet?” I asked referring to Sia


“She’s your dog.”


I sighed and shook my head “Why doesn’t that not surprise me that you wouldn’t?” I muttered to myself as I walked back to the hotel with Sia at my side


By the time I had fed Sia and run her around I felt more awake. Even so though last night was still a blur, I could remember bits and pieces of it like I know that I had gotten into a fight with Spark and Fawn leaving but I don’t remember much before that. I sat outside the back of the hotel watching people walk in and out of the hotel in swimming suits as they walked to and from the pool not too far away. A girl with black hair looked back at me as she exited the door and smiled as I winked at her. I rubbed Sia’s head as she laid her head in my lap. I looked up as I saw Sonic walk out the door and he looked down at me “Time to go.” He said and walked right back in before I had time to reply.


“Well you heard him,” I told Sia “time to go, come on.” I said as I stood up and patted my thigh as I started to walk to the front parking lot where everyone was getting into the vans. I jogged over to them and opened the one of the back doors for Sia to get in and climbed in after her. A minute later a couple of the others piled in including Sonic and Noah in the front and Tavin and Amber in the very back whiel Sia and I sat smack in the middle.


“So where are we heading too?” I asked them


“There’s a carnival going on today and Spark wanted to check for Fawn there.” Sonic replied flatly


“Why would he think she’d be there?” I asked him


He just shrugged though in reply “I guess we’ll find out.”Ë


I walked through the crowd of people as I threw up a piece of popcorn and caught it in my mouth. I hadn’t been to many carnivals but they were sure noisy, but the food made up for it. I smiled to myself thinking how bad it would be for Mr. Nosey (Tavin). I swear if that kid tells anyone about that dream I had I’ll kill him. Sia had gone off a while ago but I didn’t worry too much about her; I couldn’t get rid of that dog if I tried.


I moved to the side as a couple of smaller kids raced past me to get to the many rides. Up ahead a woman with gray hair and way too many bracelets stopped a couple of people and offered to tell their future for “the price of only five dollars!” I feel bad for the poor suckers who actually fall for that crap.


I looked around for any sign of Fawn being here but there were none. People kept on calling for me to try out a game of chance but I always ignored them and kept walking on. Just as I was starting to give up hope of ever find Fawn in this crowd. I saw the sight of dark red hair “Fawn!” I yelled but she didn’t turn around; maybe she didn’t hear me. I mean I can hardly hear my own thoughts. I pushed past people as I tried to catch up with her but when I got to be where she was at she was gone and out of sight yet again “Damn it.” I cursed to myself as I looked in all directions.


Where could she have gone? I asked myself


“Hey you!” I heard someone say and saw it was the old lady walking up to me


“Sorry I’m not interested.” I replied turning around and walking off


“But don’t you want to know about your future?!”


“Not really!” I answered


“But you are in danger!”


“Yah sure I am lady.” I replied Tell me something I don’t know


“Beware of the girl with no empathy! She will steal more than your heart!”


I just waved her off though and looked back to see she wasn’t following me anymore “Crazy old woman.” I muttered to myself.


I walked past a few more rides and food stands when I saw a large red and white stand that had hearts and lipstick marks covering all over it as red and white and red streams hung everywhere. Up above the sign read in neat cursive “Kissing Booth”.


You’re looking for Fawn Aaron a voice said in my head You don’t have time to mess around!


Oh I’m sure the others are messing around too another voice answered


“No.” I told myself and started to walk past it when someone call out for me Damn it! So close! Why can’t these people just let me be?!


I turned around and saw a girl with dark hair with one of blonde streak running down the right side of her face (well I guess it would be her left actually) leaning against the stand “Where do you think you’re going?” She smirked


“Nowhere,” I replied “Just checking things out is all…” I said walking over to her “You wouldn’t have happened to have seen a girl with dark red hair and green eyes with a star tattoo on the corner of her eye by chance would you?”


She shrugged “I see a lot of people like that all the time…but sorry…no.”


“Great,” I sighed “just great.”


“Why? She your girlfriend or something?”


I let out a laugh “If you mean that she’s a friend that’s a girl then yah. Why?”


“I don’t know…but before you go off looking for her again why don’t you help a girl out with charity?”


I smiled realizing what game she was playing “Oh yah? And what would this Charity be?”


“Whatever you want it to be.” She answered as she looked over and I looked back to see a couple of other guys come over.


 A smile formed on my lips as I looked into her dark brown eyes. Hey the girl was hot and it was a kissing booth after all. I took out my wallet and took out a dollar and slide it over to her “Why not?”


She smiled and took the dollar “Thank you for your charity.” She smiled and leaned forward


Just about as our lips were about to touch a familiar voice interrupted “Aaron?”


I looked over to see Fawn “Hey there you are!” I said and looked over back to the girl “I’ll be right back.” And she nodded as I walked over to Fawn “Where have you been?”


“What are you even doing?” She asked ignoring my question


“What does it look like I’m doing?” I laughed “I was just trying to have a little fun while I was here.”


“Did last night not mean anything to you?!” She asked lowering her voice to a dangerous level for some weird reason


I hesitated for a second though “I have a feeling that if I say “no” that you’ll hit me.”


“Damn straight!” She snapped punching my shoulder


“Ow what the hell Fawn?!”


You are the most selfish bastard I ever met!” She yelled, slapped me across the face, and walked off


“What did I even do?!” I yelled after her still confused and holding a stinging cheek Damn does this place make every woman turn crazy?


I turned back to see the last guy walk off and the girl looking over at me “You sure she isn’t your girlfriend?”


“No.” I answered looking back and watched that crazy girl walk off. What the hell is wrong with her? I mean I get it; I do deserved to be hit sometimes but I didn’t even do anything this time!


“Where were we then?” She smiled as I came back over to her


The moment our lips touched I felt like I was pressing my lips against ice. It started out light and sweet but has I felt her hand touch the back of my head and pulled me forward the kiss deepened. I was slightly surprised yet in a good way. I had to give the girl some credit; she knew how to kiss. I still thought about why Fawn was so mad at me though, I mean it’s not like I’m doing anything wrong…


“Did last night not mean anything to you?!”


How is it supposed to mean anything when I can’t even remember it? What happened last night? Oh hell why should I care it was probably just another stupid argument with her.


As the kiss continued I felt my knees start to buckle and my head started to spin. I thought I heard someone call out my
name when the girl slowly let go and her hands brushed against my cheeks. I opened my eyes and my vision started to go dark as I looked into her dark eyes. I felt light headed and suddenly my legs failed and I fell backwards losing all sense of balance and blacked out just as I hit the ground.Ë

No comments:

Post a Comment