Thursday, May 19, 2011

Aaron (13)


I yawned as we drove down the road. I knew I should have gotten more than a couple of hours of sleep last night. I felt better though now that Sia was here with me. I always felt more calm around her, I don’t know why either I guess it’s just the fact that she’s the only one who I don’t have to hide from. Yah I know this sounds weird since I’m talking about a dog but every word of it is true. A dog is a man’s best friend after all. I thought about how funny it was that Sia still didn’t like Fawn that much but at least she didn’t try to chase after her like when they first met. I looked back towards Sia who was laying her head next to Noah who I was surprised she liked….Brandon must have fed her something.

Everyone seemed to give me the silent treatment though and it was driving me insane! I reached out my hand to change the radio station but Fawn slapped my hand away making Sia growl at her.

“Will you tell your dog to shut up?” She snapped

I shrugged “Sorry she doesn’t like cats anymore I guess.”

And everyone went back to being silent. Of course in the back seats two of the people I despised the most; Tavin and Mr. All that Noah. I was really getting tired of his comments. I yawned again. I guess I’m just plain tired though. I leaned my head against the window and squinted my eyes at the sun. Why can’t it be dusk already? In fact why can’t the day just stay at dusk? No bright lights of the day and no….well you know what I mean. I closed my eyes despite the sun and everything started to fade into a misty gloom….I jolted awake when the car hit a speed bump and everyone laughed. I made a face at them and looked tiredly at the road in front of me.

“You look like crap.” I heard one of them joke but I was too tired to tell who said it and too tired to care so I simply replied “Thanks, you too.”

“Aaron how much sleep did you get last night?” they asked                        

I hesitated…did I even sleep last night? Oh yah I did “Two…three hours?”

“How are you even back here so soon?”

“What are we playing? Twenty questions?” I replied and glared back at Tavin when I felt something try to get into my head “I swear kid if you try to read my mind one more time I am going to all Hancock on you and Noah. I’ll let you two decide who’s head goes up who’s ass.”

That seemed to shut them up. I looked back over towards the window and thought about last night…I should have known they would question about how I came back so quickly….I guess that could be why I feel so tired too.

“So how did you get back here so quickly?” Fawn asked

I looked over at her and smiled “That is a good question…I’ll let you know when I come up with an answer.”

She sighed and shook her head as she looked back towards the road. I closed my eyes and felt myself being pulled back under and this time no speed bumps woke me back up.Ë



I walked down a white hall as I looked around for everyone. I looked behind me but no one was even walking down the halls….I looked up as the lights started to flickering and scrunched my eyebrows. I continued walking down the hall but the uneasy feeling started to creep up my spine. I heard a loud pop and saw that one of the lights had gone out.

“Ok time to go.” I said to myself and started walking faster and faster

Another loud pop sounded and I looked back as all the lights on the ceiling started to break. I broke out into a sprint as ran towards the door at the end of the hall.

Aaron… I heard a raspy voice say behind me but didn’t dare to look back for fear of what I would see. The hallway started to darken as the shadows tried to consume it. I caught the sight of some disfigured creature within them as it crawled on the wall chasing after me. I tried to pick up speed but I couldn’t go any faster. The door was only a few feet away now. Come on…come on….

I grabbed the door handle and yanked the door open and slammed the door behind me just as something big slammed into the door and I was barely able to hold it back. I looked across the room and realized it was a cafeteria and people looked over at me with blank expressions as they stopped talking.

“Aaron are you alright?” I heard a voice ask and looked quickly over to a guy in a long white coat with thinning grey hair and grey eyes staring down at me. Whatever was behind the door slammed against the door again knocking me forward but I quickly pushed against the door with all my strength. My feet slid across the floor and I waited for at least someone to help me out. I could feel beads of sweat drip down my forehead as I tried to keep the door closed.

“Don’t just stand there!” I snapped at the people “help me!”

The gray haired man only sighed though “Aaron please calm down.”

“Me calm down?!” I yelled as the doors came close to breaking open “Can’t you see something is trying to kill me?!”

The man gave me a look of pity and of worry “Aaron there’s nothing but the security guards and they won’t hurt you if you just let them in.”

“Must be some damn strong security guards then!” I snapped

“Please don’t use that tone of voice in the hospital Mr. Moore.” He said flatly

Hospital? I thought and looked around and suddenly the banging on the door stopped for the time being. Everyone was either in clothing gowns or in a pair of white pants and a white shirt…a couple of the people were rambling on as a couple of men took them away…that’s when it hit me.

“No…no, no, no, no, no. I’m not crazy!” I yelled

“Of course you’re not,” The man said “You’re just…a little confused.” He said as he extended his hand

“I don’t know who you think you are but this must be some kind of…mistake…” I said as I looked out of the door’s window to see only two men standing there annoyed.

I looked back at the man and he just smiled “It’s alright Aaron, just calm down…” he said in a calm voice and I stepped away from the door and watched as the two men walked in giving me dirty looks.

“Please you have to listen to me…I don’t belong here!” I said as they started to lead me away but the man only stared blankly at me.

How did this happen? I wasn’t crazy and I knew that! I had to get out of here and find the others…As I tried to fight of the security one of them slammed me onto the floor but what I saw starring down at me wasn’t human…The eyeless creature from before smiled and exposed it’s sharp jagged teeth.

You can’t escape us…the raspy voice said and I looked over to see the man in the white coat turn into a shadow of a person. The shadows banged on the door again and I looked around to see that it was only me, the shadow guy and whatever the hell was holding me down.

Aaron! They chanted and the shadow guy laughed as he placed his hand on my shoulder Aaron! Aaron!

“Aaron!”

My eyes snapped open and I jerked away from whoever was touching me. My body was shaking as I looked around frantically. I then started to realize that I was still in the car with the others. It had only been a dream….I looked over and met Fawn’s cat green eyes “You alright?” She asked me and I must have been seeing things because I could have sworn that was a look of worry and concern on her face.

I tried to slow down my breathing as I shook my head. I couldn’t show how freaked out I was over that dream…it had been all too real “How long have I been out?”

“…about a half an hour but we couldn’t take any more of your sleep talk and the car smoking up.” I looked around and saw the shadows fade back into their dark corners. I saw Noah’s face and saw uneasiness in his eyes behind that smirk of his.

“Careful Noah,” I faked a smile to cover my nerves “They might just come after you…”

He just stayed smirking though and looked away in reply.

Yah that’s right I thought you better look away asshole

Just then I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket and brought it out. Fawn looked over at me like a teacher would if they caught a student with one but ignored her and answered it “Hello?” I asked but could hear the nervousness in my voice and cleared my through and repeated in a more calm voice “Hello?”

“………”

“Hello?” I asked again and held the phone away to see what the number was but I didn’t recognize it. When no one answered I started to hang up when I heard a chuckle. Getting mad I said “If this is some stupid prank call I’m not in the mood alright?”

“Hang up.” Fawn told me but I waved her away

“Look up.” A voice answered

“Fawn!” Noah yelled just as I looked up and a van was a foot away speeding towards us. I dropped my phone and grabbed onto the handle of the car. For the few seconds we disappeared I felt like I was being choked. The van then slammed down onto the ground as it landed behind the Retter’s van. Fawn stomped on the brakes and the van squealed to a stop. I breathed hard as the pain in my chest came back. I glanced over at Fawn who was giving me a shocked look “…You have a lot to explain.”

“I know…” I breathed “but right now we need to go,” Sia barked as a pang sounded with another bullet hitting the van “Fawn drive already!” I yelled

She stepped on the gas pedal and we quickly sped down the road as the Retter just started to turn their car around. I closed my eyes for a second when I heard Sia whine. I looked back as her brown and blue eyes looked back at me.

“It’s ok girl,” I tried to reassure her “I’m alright…”

My sight caught of another van coming up behind the Retter’s van and I my mood went down for a second until I watched them speed up beside them and a small object fell by their tires and the van stopped and the Retter’s van exploded. I laughed “Hey guess we got back up after all.”

Fawn looked back and slowed down the van as the other’s caught up to us. Chem rolled down his window as they slowed down next to us “That was beautiful!” He laughed “Did you see how high that van went?!”

“Just like a kid in the candy store.” Fawn smiled

“Hey just because I’m thirty doesn’t mean I’m too old to have fun. Come on let’s get back to the hotel before we run into any more of them.”

“Agreed.” She replied and Chem rolled up his window and their car sped down the road in front of us

                The van went back to silence as we followed after them. I leaned back in the seat and sighed as I took in a deep breath. I felt like I was going to fall asleep again when I sat up straight again and whipped my face as I tried to stay awake; Sleeping wasn’t a good idea right now…Ë




                I literally fell onto the couch when we got to the hotel. I found out that Sia was more of a traitor then I thought because she laid at Noah’s feet about a foot away as he sat in one of the chairs. I would say something but Fawn keeps on snapping at me to shut up when I do so there’s no point. Turns out that the group had found the guy we were looking for…but were a little late getting there since he’s now dead. Why am I not surprised? I flipped through the TV channels bored out of my mind. I think watching the channels change from one to the next was more entertaining then what was actually on. The pain in my chest was slowly going away now and I had pretty much ignored the other’s questions (Fawn hadn’t said a word to me since we got back to the hotel). Besides the questions though everyone pretty much ignored me and acted like I wasn’t there.


I turned the TV off then and reached for my phone in my pocket…but it wasn’t there…Ah crap I dropped it in the van. I sighed and got up reluctantly from the couch and walked over towards the door “Sia come on girl.” I called but looked back as she stared at me not moving a muscle from under Noah’s feet. I glared at Noah and just shook my head and went straight out into the hall.

                “I should have left her home is what I should have done.” I muttered as I walked outside into the cold air. I rubbed my hands together as I walked towards the van. I tried to open the door it wouldn’t budge. Of course I had forgotten the keys to unlock the van. I sighed and looked around the parking lot making sure no one was around to see and bent down and swept my hand under the van as I brought out a cup of the shadows.


                “You guys cause me so much problems and yet solve so many of them.” I said to the shadows in my hand and looked around again before I stretched them out into a short thin line. I could feel my energy drain from me a little but if I slept tonight I would be fine by tomorrow. I picked at the lock until I heard a click and opened the door with a smile as the shadows vanished “Now where did I drop you?” I asked as I looked around the car floor. Surely it didn’t just disappear….I bent down and reached under the seat as I tried to feel around for my phone.


                “Come on…” I said starting to get annoyed when I couldn’t find it. Just then I heard my phone start to ring and finally got a hold of it and brought it out from under the seat “There you are you nasty little bugger.”


                I checked my phone for any missed calls and there were none. I started to think about when I had gone back home…my brother had been pretty ticked off that I had ran off again but I just made up another lie telling him that Fawn wanted to get away for a little while and that we were on a road trip with some of her friends….It wasn’t a complete lie…but it was another one added to the collection of the other lies that I had been telling him for the past nine years. I didn’t like lying to him and sometimes I was sure he knew I was but it was for his own good. I knew he would be mad for a while but he would get over it sooner or later.


                I walked back towards the hotel and back to the room still thinking about my family. What if last night was the last time I was going to see them? No, I would…but it would be risky…but wasn’t it worth the risk? I smiled yah it was worth the risk. Besides I could take care of the Retter if they ever came around. Now thinking of it I almost work better alone then being with these guys. I mean by myself I had four years of peace while right now we’ve been ambushed almost constantly.


                You can’t take on all of them though….a voice said in my head You could only protect them for so long…they found you at the university and they’ll just keep on finding you wherever you go. You can’t let your family get in between all of this.


                Damn I really hate my conscience right now. I shoved my phone in my pocket and walked back into the room where I heard everyone talking.


                “Wait what happened?” I heard and I rolled my eyes, I guess Spark and the others were back.


                “I told you, something’s up with Aaron.” I heard Fawn say


                “Can we trust him?” Spark asked


                Everyone went silent. I turned the door knob and walked into a silent room.


                “Where have you been?” Chem asked


                I sighed and grabbed out my phone and showed it to him “I had to go get my phone out of the van after I dropped it earlier,” I then looked over at Fawn “and you’re welcome, it’s nice to know that I can’t be trusted,” everyone was silent “You guys should really learn how to talk quieter.”


                “What are you even doing back here Aaron?” Spark answered flatly


                I took in a deep breath “I’m not really sure.”


                “You shouldn’t even be back yet even if you decided to…”


                “Unless he can magically teleport…” Chem muttered


                “Which I doubt.” Spark answered


                Would it be weird to say that I feel as though I’m in a fricken court facing the jury? “Hello? I’m right here you know.”


                “Aaron why don’t you just tell us so we can get this over with?” Sonic asked irritated


                I let out a laugh “I don’t know how I got here.”


                “Ok fine. I heard you also got a phone call before you ran into the Retter.” Spark said


                I went silent for a second I wonder who told them that? I thought and glared over at the kid “It wasn’t anyone important.”


                “Let me see your phone then.” Spark said


                “How about not?” I replied


                “We could find out who called you.”


                “I already have an idea in who called me.”


                “Who was it then?”


                “No one important."


                “Aaron-”


                “Ok so I think I’m done with being interrogated for the night so…” I said grabbing one of the keys off the table before anyone could stop me “I’ll be out.”


                I walked over to the door while grabbing my jacket off of one of the chairs and slammed the door shut as I walked back out into the hall. I took in a deep breath and walked down the hall. All of a sudden my vision flashed to the white hall and I stopped. The next second it was gone. I shook my head and continued walking until it happened again.


                Aaron…” a voice whispered behind me and I spun around and raised up my hand and a shadow brought one of the hall lights.


                “Ah shit.” I muttered


                You’re seeing things Aaron I thought to myself You need to stop thinking about that dream.


                That dream had felt so real though. How could I not think about it? Another flash. I forced myself to keep going but at a quicker pace. Yet another flash had took over my vision until I made it outside. I leaned against the brick wall and slide down onto the ground. I took in a shaky breath and rubbed my chest while sweat dripped down my forehead. The cool air felt good against my skin and I threw my jacket beside me and brought my knees up. It’s really sad when a twenty two year old is still afraid of the dark. Even funnier since he can control it. I wiped my face and looked out towards the van in the parking lot. I decided that it sounded like a good place to slee- be alone tonight.


                I got up and walked over to the van and unlocked it and got into the back seat and laid down looking up at the ceiling. I sat up and reached over to the front seat and turned the car on so I could at least listen to the radio. It started playing Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult. I turned the volume up, locked the doors back up, and laid back down and sighed. This song brought back some good memories of my brother and I; we usually listened to this song while playing catch in the backyard during a family barbeque. I don’t know really why we listened to it so much but I’m pretty sure mom and…dad got pretty annoyed after a while.


                Come on baby... Don't fear the Reaper
Baby take my hand... Don't fear the Reaper
We'll be able to fly... Don't fear the Reaper…



                Thump, thump. I looked up and saw Fawn’s back turned to the van. I sighed and sat up and leaned against the door while looking at her through the window. A few seconds passed by and she turned her head to look back and I grinned “Aaron open the door.” She sighed


                I could have fun with this I thought. I pointed to my ear and mouthed that I couldn’t hear her. She rolled her eyes in reply “Can we talk?”


                I acted like I didn’t hear her and laid back down. I didn’t feel like talking; not with her or any of the others. I come out to be alone and now that’s ruined. I looked over at the window and couldn’t see her anymore. I sighed in relief until I heard a click and Fawn climbed into the passenger’s seat. I took in an exaggerated breath and looked over at her “What do you want Fawn?”


                I looked over at her and she gave me a serious look “Aaraon will you just-”


                “Don’t you have anything better to do?” I snapped “I’m sure Spark plug is back there waiting for you.”


                “He can wait but will you just let me finish a sentence?” She snapped


                I looked at her for a second and then replied “Well continue then!”


                She sighed “Aaron what is going on with you?”


                “Well,” I said leaning forward “I’ve been thinking about it…and I keep on trying to decide if cereal is healthy or not.”


                “You’re an idiot.”  She snapped hitting me in the shoulder


                “Oooo,” I laughed “Kity’s getting pissy.”


                “Well you’re acting like a fricken child!”


                “Does kitty need to take a chill pill?”


                “I’m wasting my time.” She said to herself and opened the door getting out


                I sighed and got out of the van and followed after her “What do you want me to say Fawn?” I yelled after her “Do you want me to tell you that I need your help and can’t do this by myself because I don’t and I can!”


                “Then why did you even come back?” She asked venomously taking a few steps back towards me


                I looked down and a few seconds of silence passed between us “because you’re right…” I answered softly “I don’t have anywhere else to go…because I don’t have anyone else to go to…my own family doesn’t even know.”


                She stopped for a second “You never told them?”


                A single chuckle escaped my mouth “Heh, no. What could I tell them? They’d think I was crazy.”


                “You don’t know that…” She replied less spitefully this time


                I glanced up at her “Tell me then…what would you do if you found out that someone close to you was able to make your worst fears come to life?”


                “I would say they were insane at first…” she answered and continued before I could comment “but I would come to understand. Family is there for each other no matter what.” She said looking back over to the hotel


                You all are all you have left aren’t you? I thought but shook my head “It’s easier said than done when you’re a freak as well.”


                She let out a laugh “Yah and you’re the king of them.”


                “Yah,” I smiled and it faded away slowly “yah…”


                “So,” she said changing the subject “How did you get back here?”


                I sighed “Well I guess I’ll have to tell you sooner or later…” I said taking a step towards her “But I’m tired, I’ll show you some other time.”


                “Wait!” she said as I walked back towards the van “Aaron!”


                I smiled as I turned my head to look back at her “Good night Fawn.”


                “It’s only three o’clock Aaron.”


                “I know, but It’s night for me right now.”


                She sighed “Will you at least come back inside?”


                “Nope,” I replied still grinning but then stopped and turned around “Also…tell Noah that if he hurts my dog in any way…I’ll kill him.”


                She looked at me trying hide her smile “Sure you will.” She replied and started walking away


                I smirked and climbed back into the van and closed the door. The sun light poured in through the window as I shut my eyes and turned the radio back up. I knew Fawn had more questions but we both knew they would have to wait until later. Besides I wasn’t going to risk killing myself for everyone else’s enjoyment. I wasn’t even sure if I even wanted to explain to them…because it seems like every single thing I do brings me closer to the darkness.Ë

No comments:

Post a Comment