Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fawn (10)

Fawn:
I could just hear Spark now. “Where do you think you were going? Don’t you realize how dangerous this could be? I didn’t try to get you to stay to just have you go gallivanting into hell knows where!” I didn’t plan on him knowing that I was leaving for a while. There was no way I was going to stay in a house with them and Meg, especially Meg. That little old woman drives me crazy and I swear she hates me. I’ve none her as long as I’ve known Spark. She’s the oldest Chosen to ever live. Her power is to heal but over the years it’s grown less and less and it uses too much of her energy so she just uses her ‘natural’ abilities.
I knew exactly where I was going as I made my way down the dirt road that I knew lead to a small town. Today was one of my favorite days of the year in Oregon.. Mardi Gras. A time where you can go out party, drink and have fun. Ever since I left home I always enjoyed the bright colored beads and ridiculous hats. Spark always hated going to the parade, which I quite enjoyed going to. When it was just the two of us I dragged him to it. It just so happened we were visiting Meg. “Why are you dragging me to this?” He complained as I lead him by the arm down a crowded street to find a spot to watch the parade.
“Because you don’t ever have any fun.” I replied taking a glass of green alcohol that was handed to me.
“You know that illegal.” He said as I sipped the green drink at the time I was 17 and he was 18
“Don’t be such a kill joy!” I replied pushing past a drunk couple
“I’m not a kill joy.” He mumbled
“Whatever, you never like having fun.”
“Sure I do.”
“Tell me when you’ve ever wanted to have fun?” I asked stopping in my tracks
He remained silent.
“Told you so!” I exclaimed
He sighed and without asking took my drink. “Hey!” I yelled as he took a drink of it.
He gave me one of his rare grins “I think I’ll need it more than you.”
I couldn’t help but miss how things used to be… how Spark and I used to be. I shook my head and quickened my pace. I could hear the music from the town blaring loudly. Just my kind of party! I wondered if any of the others have noticed I was gone. I doubt it. If I had to guess they wouldn’t notice for a few more hours. Which I wasn’t sure if it bothered me or made me happy, I didn’t really care though, I needed to get away from work, work, work. I was determined to have a normal night… ha, yeah right.[
 “Can I see your ID?” the short bald doorman asked
I pulled out my fake ID and showed it to him. The name on it still makes me laugh, Kitty Heeler. It was just a funny coincidence to me. The age on it said I was 23 and legally allowed to drink. Without asking any questions that short stocky man let me. The scent of cigar and cigarette smoke filled the room. I sat at the last bar stool while watching a group of guys wearing idiotic costumes singing with a green beer in their hands. It reminded me of Spark again. “Can we leave?” he complained only moments after entering the bar
“We just got here!” I replied sitting at an empty booth.
“There’s too many people here. Any one of them could be a Retter.” He grumbled
I gave him a fake grin and took his hands in mine “It’ll be okay Mr. Worry Mc Worry Pants.”
He took his hands away and shook his head. A woman with bright blonde hair that had purple and green streaks in it approached us “Can I get you two anything?”
“I’ll have whatever that green stuff is.” I said pointing at the people at the bar.
She nodded her head and looked at Spark who simply shook his head “I’ll be fine thanks.”
She nodded her again “Okay I’ll be back with your drink.” She said to me then walked away
I put a pouty face on and said “You are just a grumpy pants.”
He rubbed his forehead “I don’t really care Fawn.”
I started to reply when a man, who had obviously way too much to drink, wobbled by me. He lost his balance and spilled his very large and very green drink all over my white blouse. “Oh man,” he stuttered then hiccupped “I’m totally sorry.”
Spark suddenly got to his feet and I could see sparks from his hands. I immediately stood to my feet and stood between Spark and the drunk. I looked up at Spark and said “Stop it now. He didn’t mean to.”
Spark unclenched his fist and sat back down at the booth and glared as the drunk wobbled off. One thing that was certain about Spark, is that he can be way too overly protective.
I felt a tap on my shoulder and jumped. A dark haired handsome man stood behind me and when I say handsome I mean handsome. “Sorry to scare you. You seemed very deep in thought and I thought I’d see if you’re okay.”
I flashed a grin at him “I’m fine thanks.”
“You mind if I buy you a drink?” he asked sitting on the stool beside me
“You are more than welcome to.” I replied . He was definetly my type of guy, tall, dark, and handsome oh and he buys drinks.”
“My names Noah.” He said extending his hand
I took it and said “Mines Faw-… I mean Kitty.”
“Well Kitty it’s a pleasure to meet you.”   He said with a grin taking his strong grip away to his drink. “Cheers?”
I picked mine up and raised it to his “Cheers.” I didn’t hesitate to drink it. “Where are you from?” Noah asked raising his voice over the loud partiers behind us
“Oh nowhere specifically, I do a lot of traveling…” I guess it was true
“Ah, I quite enjoy traveling. I can’t stand staying in only one place for a long time.” He replied grinning at me
I returned his grin and said “I know exactly what you mean.”
We then heard the sound of loud music coming from outside. “The parade must be coming.” Noah said standing up “Want to join me?”
I took another sip of my drink and replied cheerily “Of course I would.” I stood up and wrapped my arm around his and had my drink in the other. I could all ready feel the dizziness of the alcohol start to sink in.
 “Where the hell are you Fawn?!” Spark’s angry voice yelled out in my head
“Where does it look like? Now if you don’t mind I’m busy.”
“Who is that you’re with?” he asked
“I think his name’s Noah.”
“You don’t even know who he is! He could be a Retter!”
“I doubt it. Now I’m done here.”
“Don’t you dare Fawn! You get back here right this instance!”
“You’re not my dad you can’t tell me what to do. Oh gotta go parade’s about to start.”
“Fawn don’t!”
I closed my eyes and stopped for a moment making Noah stop as well. I concentrated and felt my mind wall go up. “Are you okay?” Noah asked
I shook my head and opened my eyes “Sorry I just got a little light headed.” I lied
He nodded his head and continued walking until we found an open spot. I stood in front of him and could feel his body close to mine. I knew Spark was probably furious with me. Would he tell the others where I was? Or who I’m with? They shouldn’t be surprised though I was never one for following their rules… Actually more like Spark’s rules.
I smiled as I saw the floats came down the street. Some looked like they had been worked on for more than a month and others looked like they were built today. Almost all the people riding on them were drunk or really close. One guy even fell off; he was okay though and managed to climb back on. One float in particular caught my eye. I think it had something to do with checkers because the men were all dressed in black and red. Though as it got closer I saw that a banner was up with words in another language that I guessed to be German, making me become more agitated. The men all had very serious looks on their faces, I could feel my arm begin to burn and my legs become weak. My animal instincts told me to run but I knew if I did it would just make me more obvious. “Are you okay?”  Noah asked placing his hands on my shoulders
That’s when the ringing started. I put my hands over my ears in hopes it would stop but it wouldn’t go away. “Kitty? Kitty are you okay?”
“No.” I said dropping my drink on the ground “I need to go somewhere else.” I tried to push through the people who were either giving me nervous, worried looks or were too drunk to care. “Kitty!” Noah exclaimed taking my arms trying to support me. My head was throbbing from the ringing. It was like earlier today when we were trying to escape the Retter but now it was a hundred times worse. I knew I had to get away but my vision began to go dark. “Fawn! Fawn listen to my voice and don’t” Spark’s frantic voice said
“Kitty!”
“Fawn!”
I lost my balance completely and my vision went black. So this is what it feels like to die?[

I opened my eyes slowly and squinted my eyes from the light emerging from a window. Where the hell am I? I was sitting on a queen sized bed in a small room. I sat up cautiously and rubbed my forehead, my head was throbbing terribly. It then all started flooding back to me, the Retter! One minute I was watching the parade the next second I was passed out on the ground. How did I end up here?
I nearly fell off the bed when I heard the door open beside me “Oh you’re awake. I hope I didn’t scare you.” I managed to steady my breath and saw Noah watching me.
“Wait a second. Where am I? And what happened?” I asked tossing my legs over the edge of the bed.
“Just calm down,” he said handing me a cup of coffee “First you’re in my house, and second you passed out in the middle of the sidewalk! I didn’t know what to do so I brought you here… Do you think you could explain what happened?”
I rubbed my neck then replied “I must have had too much to drink…” I said, it’s only a small white lie
“No offence but I know that’s a lie.” He said sitting beside me on the bed
I was almost surprised by what he said. I told him the best lie I could come up with “Well I have this strange condition… that I’ve had since I was very young. I was riding my bike and I went into the rode and I was hit by a car… Doctors thought I was going to die but instead I somehow lived and have this condition… That every once in a while I will just pass out of nowhere…”
He gave me a unconvinced look “Uh huh, right. You going explain the mark on your arm?”
I turned my arm over and looked at the red birth mark. “Oh… that. It’s a birth mark.” I said trying to make it sound like it’s no big deal. Though truthfully it was even as helpful as the mark maybe it’s also my biggest weakness. If a Retter sees the mark on my arm they will know what I am and kill me instantly.
“A birth mark that glows and burns to the touch?” he said doubtingly
Damn. I didn’t even think of that. So I did what I was best at, running “You know I barely know you so I don’t think I need to explain anything. Thanks for everything but I have some friends I need to meet up with, they’re probably worried” I knew the last part was a lie minus Spark. I started to stand up but fell back down from my head throbbing. “Obviously you are in no way ready to leave.” Noah said with a triumphant grin on his face. Will I ever meet a guy who won’t give me that grin?
“I really do need to go.” I replied becoming slightly annoyed  
He began to protest when we heard a knock from the front door. “You gunna get that? It be rude to leave them waiting.” I told him knowing this would be the ideal chance to get away. I couldn’t help but watch Noah as he left the room though I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t good looking and even for not knowing him he seemed like a sweet guy, especially compared to the ones I’m stuck around.
My curiosity got the better of me when I walked to the door balancing myself against the door frame. I could hear Noah’s voice and another mans that seemed kind of familiar. I slowly made my way out of the room and towards the voices. I could feel my arm begin to throb. I started to panic in fear that it was one of the Retter. My knees started to knock together and my heart started to race. I had to prepare myself for anything. I peeked my head around the corner and nearly had a heart attack. Standing in the doorway talking to Noah was Mr. Cocky himself… Aaron.
He was wearing a dark suit which looked very nice on him. If I had to guess it probably belonged to Meg’s late husband. I must have just got to the end of their conversation.
“I don’t know who you’re talking about. No one by the name of Fawn is here.” Noah said starting to close the door.
Aaron began to object and I stepped out from around the corner. “Wait Noah! He’s my friend.”
Noah gave me a confused glance and Aaron pushed open the door with no trouble “I told you so.” He said grinning at Noah
“But I thought your name was Kitty.” Noah directed towards me
“I um…” I started rubbing my neck trying to look at him.
“Funny story actually,” Aaron said putting his hand around my shoulders, I could tell he was trying to come up with a lie off the top of his head “She’s a Secret Spy agent… She’s been on a case that brought her here and she couldn’t go around with her real name…”
He gave us a skeptical look “I’m not stupid. I know something is up and I don’t trust you.” The last part was directed at Aaron.
Aaron’s grip became tighter and he mumbled in my ear “What’s with the guys you hang around, none of them seem to trust me.”
I rolled my eyes “I wonder why.”
“Sorry to interrupt you two but we’re in the middle of something here.” Noah interrupted. I could see in his eyes how irritated he was becoming.
“Noah we really need to go.” I say taking Aaron’s arm off me and heading for the door. My heart nearly stopped, in Noah’s yard stood at least fifteen men in all black. I knew in that instant Aaron and I were in louds of trouble. “We have company Aaron.” Aaron’s eyes were filled with horror as he looked out the small window. “We’re screwed.” He said running a hand through his hair. “I doubt they’re your friendly neighbors.”
“Follow me.” Noah ordered pushing a small table in front of the door.
“Wait where are we going?” I asked following him into his kitchen
“Just come with me and don’t ask questions.” He replied hastily
Aaron grabbed my arm and whispered in my ear “Do you know if we can trust this guy?”
“I don’t think we really have a choice Aaron.” I replied back. I then turned my attention back to Noah who was lifting up a door on the floor. I could hear the pounding at the front door from the Retter. I knew they would be here soon.
“Get inside.” Noah said “They’ll be in here soon.”
I started to climb down the shaft and turned my head up to a hesitant Aaron “Come on Aaron!”
“Maybe this isn’t the best idea.”  He murmured
I heard Noah exhale loudly and shove Aaron towards the whole. “Get in there or I’m going without you and you can go have lunch with the Retter.”
I stopped as I climbed down the stairs. How did he know about the Retter? Noah had a lot of explaining to do if we made it out of here. “Aaron come on!” I begged. Aaron gave me a nervous glance but followed me into the darkness. Once Aaron was in Noah quickly followed locking the door above us making the tunnel completely dark. I blinked my eyes so my cat vision comes into play. My feet finally hit a cold damp ground. “Fawn…” Aaron’s worried voice called out.
“Just keep coming doing the ladder Aaron, I’m waiting at the bottom.” I reassured
“Will you hurry up?” Noah’s annoyed voice called out
“Shut up! I can’t see a thing so it makes it difficult.” Aaron retaliated
I rolled my eyes “Stop arguing and come on!”
When Aaron was finally on the ground he took hold of my hand very tightly. “Take this.” Noah said handing Aaron a flashlight. Aaron turned it and accidently shined it in my face. I swore and hit him “Will you watch it?”
“Sorry…” he replied lowering his voice.
I swore again as the light hit my eyes once more “Aaron!”
“I didn’t do it!” he replied defensively
“Your eyes reflect the light strangely.”  Noah said flashing the light in my face again
“Will you knock it off? You’re obviously seeing things!” I exclaim though I know exactly what he’s seeing.
He arched his eyebrow at me “Like I said before, I’m not stupid.”
“Could of fooled me.” Aaron chuckled under his breath.
“Shut it.” Noah snapped
“Well as you two argue, I’d like to get out of here.” I said interrupting the two
The glared at each other “Fine.” They both said in unison
As we marched through the darkness I finally asked “So how did you know about them? I mean the Retter.”
Noah remained silent for a moment then said “Where do I begin? I’ve had a long history with them.”
“How so?” Aaron asked
Noah stopped and pointed the flashlight at us “I know what both of you are.”
“That is?” I urged
“You two are Chosen.”
Aaron and I both exchanged looks of shock. “How could you possibly know that?” Aaron protested
“My brother was like you.” He replied continuing to walk down the tunnel again. “He could control light.”
“That could be useful right now.” Aaron mumbled
“He’s dead.” Noah said coldly
“I’m sorry Noah.” I said stepping beside him
He looked at me right into my eyes “It was for the best.”
I gave him a confused expression but before I could say anything I noticed a light maybe a hundred yards away and I could smell fresh air. All of our paces quickened especially Aaron’s “I never thought I’d be so happy to be going towards the light at the end of the tunnel.”[
“How could you be so stupid?” Spark yelled at me outside Meg’s house. He had wanted to talk outside so the others couldn’t hear but with him yelling like this that will never work.
“I don’t know Spark! Maybe it’s because I’m sick of being around all of you?” I shouted raising my voice over his
“Then why are you still here?”
“Because you always drag me back! I leave and you are always looking for me again. I can’t have one moment’s peace without you listening to all of my thoughts!”
“I’m trying to keep you safe.” He replied lowering his voice
“I don’t need you keeping me safe! I’m not a little girl!”
“I know that Fawn. I just can’t see you getting hurt…”
I inhaled through my nose and exhaled loudly “So other than telling me I’m stupid what else did you want to talk about?”
“What do you think Fawn? Maybe you could explain the other person you brought with you.”
“His names Noah and if it weren’t for him me and Aaron would be dead. He knows what we are Spark! His brother was one of us.”
“Yeah? And what happened to him?”
I turned my head away “He died…”
“How do we know he’s not one of the Retter and he killed his brother?”
“He isn’t one of them. My mark didn’t start burning, nor did any of the others.”
Spark knew I was right “He’s not staying with us. We’re not a charity!”
“I never said you were but he saved me Spark. He deserves thanks. “
“You don’t even know him Fawn. This could all be an act!”
I shook my head with anger “If he were one of them he would have killed me long ago!”
“Maybe he just wanted you to lead him here so he could call the others and kill all of us in one blow!”
“I agree with Spark Plug” Aaron’s familiar voice says from the patio of the house. He walked towards us and said “I mean this Noah guy is suspicious and kind of an ass.”
“You would know.” I snapped at him “I mean all he did was save us!”
“We would have been fine.” 
“Yes right after the Retter caught us and tortured us to death!”
“True but he’s still a jerk…”
“You’re just mad because he made fun of you.”
“Am not!”
“You are so! Turned out king of darkness was afraid of the dark!”
“Shut up I was not!”
“Oh yea? And that’s why you clung on to me like a lost child?”
He lifted his chin and stuck his chest out “You must have misunderstood me. I clung on to you for your own good, in case you got scared.”
“Ha! Me scared of the dark? I don’t think so.” I responded stepping closer to him. I felt my body began to shake.
“Whoa slow down Kitty.” Aaron said raising his hands in defense. “No need to go all puma on me.”
I felt Spark’s cold grasp on my arm as he spun me around towards him “Calm down Fawn.”
“Let me go!” I yelled pulling his hand off. “I’m going to walk and don’t worry I won’t go far. Besides you’ll be in my head anyways.”
“Fawn!” Spark shouted as I stormed away
“Should one of us go after her?” Aaron asked thinking I didn’t hear him.
“No you shouldn’t!” I called over my shoulder. Thankfully they actually listened.
After an hour of walking through the forest I stopped next to a bout it at a small creek. The entire time I could hear footsteps following behind me. I knew they weren’t Spark or Aaron wouldn’t try and be sneaky about it. I sat down and put my hand in the cold water. “You can stop hiding.” I say
I heard the footsteps get closer and stop a few feet behind me. “How’d you know I was there?” it was Noah
I turned my head up to him “You’re as loud as a herd of cattle.”
He sighed and sat beside me. “Fair enough. What are you doing out here?”
“I had to get away from Spark and Aaron.”
I nodded his head “Yeah I heard your three’s argument.” We stayed silent a moment then he said “I don’t have to stay here, not if those guys are going to treat you like that.”
I shrugged staring at my reflection in the water “With or without you here they still act that way.”
He hesitated before asking “Why do you stay with them then?”
“Spark always brings me back.” But I knew that wasn’t the whole truth “and I don’t have anywhere else to go. As much as they drive me crazy they’re still the closest thing I have to family.”
“Stop me if I’m asking too much, but what happened to your family, your actual family.” He asked looking into my eyes.
I hadn’t talked about my family in a long time. The only person I ever told about them was Spark, back when we first met. “No, it’s fine.” I started. Why was I about to tell this guy that I barely know about my family? I don’t know but “They both died when I was sixteen. The Retter killed them when they were really only wanted me. I was just walking home from school that day and I noticed that there was my dad’s car and  three black SUVs in front.” I could picture everything exactly. My small red house with a gravel path that lead to the porch, the large tree in the front that had a swing that my dad had made for me, and most all the swinging chair that me and mother used to sit on while waiting for my dad to come home. “I ran to the house because I knew something wasn’t right. I wasn’t welcomed inside by my mother who was usually waiting for me at the door. As I walked through the house I couldn’t find my parent’s anywhere.” I felt all of my emotions start to build up “I searched through the house without luck until I finally came to my own room…” I stopped a moment and tried not to start crying.
Noah took my hand “You don’t have to continue.”
I shook my head. It felt good to talk about this. “No I’ll finish… When i finally got to my room I saw two body’s lying on the ground. The bodies were my parents… they both had cuts all over their bodies and on their necks the mark of the Retter was carved into them. I knew I couldn’t stay long because I didn’t know where the Retter had gone and they’d be back soon. I was forced to leave my dead parents and run for my life. Only moments after I got out of a house it blew up. In the distance I saw many men in black running to their cars. I knew if I didn’t go they’d kill me like they did my parents.” I then broke out into sobs. Noah leaned closer and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I should be embarrassed by my outburst but it felt nice to talk to someone who doesn’t treat me like a child. When I finally regained myself I laughed “Thanks, I’m not sure what got into me.”
“Oh it’s fine.” He replied smiling at me.
I put my hand on his cheek and kissed him lightly on the lips. He gave me a shocked look “What was that for?”
“For listening to me.”
He stood up and helped me to my feet “If I stay around I may have to listen to you more often.”
I hit him lightly on the chest “Don’t get your hopes up.”
“I have one more question.”
“Yes?”
“Is your name Kitty or Fawn?”
I chuckled “It’s Fawn.”
“Oh that’s good.”
“Why?”
“Well,” he laughed “No offence but it sounds like a strippers name.”
I pretend to be offended and hit him slightly harder “I had to come up with a different name!”
“But Kitty?”
“It was the best I could come up with.” I mumbled
He opened his mouth to reply but was stopped when a twig broke from behind us. I jumped around and saw Spark giving us an unhappy expression. “Can I talk to you Fawn?”
I crossed my arms “I’m kind of busy.”
Noah placed his hand on my shoulder “Don’t worry I’ll go.”
“You don’t have to.” I said
“Yes you do.” Spark said. I glared at him and saw sparks coming from his hands.
Noah nodded his head and walked away. Once he was far enough away I marched towards Spark and shoved him “What the hell Spark?”
“Shouldn’t I be asking you the same thing?” he asked raising his voice slightly
“He followed me out here and we talked that’s all!”
“It didn’t look like just talking…”
“What is it with you Spark? You act like you don’t want anything to do with me, and then as soon as I get close to someone else you get jealous! What do you want Spark?”
“I want you to stay with us, and by stay I mean stay for good. I’m tired of watching you walk away from me.”
“I’ve heard this all before Spark. It’s the same story time and time again.”
“I’m sorry Fawn. I don’t mean to treat you this way. I just worry about you,”
“I can take care of myself.” I interrupted
“Fawn, I know you can. I just can’t help it. You’re, I mean, I just don’t know what I’d do without you…” Before I could say anything he had his hands on face and his lips on mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck as the kiss became more intense. As soon as the kiss started it was over. “So you going to stay?” he asked kissing my lips again.
I grinned “I guess it wouldn’t hurt.”
“Good… We should probably get back before the others start wondering.”
“You go ahead. I’ll meet up with you.”
He gave me a tentative look “But-”
“Don’t worry I won’t be long.” I replied kissing him again.
“Okay…” he said and started on his way back to Meg’s house.
I walked to a nearby tree and laid my head against it. What was I doing?  What has gotten into Spark? I’ve never known Spark to act so rashly. All I knew was that I was in giant mess.[

No comments:

Post a Comment