Friday, June 17, 2011

Tavin/Fawn 18

Tavin:

"You guys think I'm a Retter?" Aaron asked with a sickened look on his face


"Duh." Twilight replied


"You guys are nuts! Why the hell would you think that?" Aaron yelled


Chem took out a recorder from his pocket and hit play. We all sat in silence as the message played. I still had a hard time believing he was actually a Retter. As much of an ass he could be his thoughts seemed clear. When the recording ended Aaron exhaled loudly while shaking his head "Come on guys you can't seriously believe this crap! If I were a Retter I would have made it obvious a long time ago."


"It's happened before." Bryn pointed out


"I am not a Retter!" Aaron bellowed


"Just admit it now and maybe we'll kill you quickly." Fawn growled. One thing I learned about Fawn; don’t hide information from her. Fawn was pissed off beyond belief after we told her about Aaron. Her thoughts were so loud that I couldn't even ignore them. They were a mixture of anger and sadness from the news. Of course if you couldn't read her thoughts she only came off as mad. She almost got away from us to go after him. Though after some reasoning and me convincing or forcing her to stay she finally calmed down.


Aaron snapped his towards Fawn "Are you sure this is what you're really mad about?"


"Shut up." Fawn said and I could hear her rapid thoughts now. "That ass he better keep him mouth shut."


"Ooo Kitty Cat's mad at me. Oh well though I mean I already know you hate me..." he paused and everyone waited for what he would say. "But why don't you come over here and give me a kiss on my peppermint lips?

At least you like that about me." He grinned and puckered his lips at her.


Before any of us could stop her she had knocked him back in the chair and had her foot on his throat. Sonic quickly was at her side and pulled Fawn back. Chem and I lifted Aaron back up who still had a grin on his face.

"Kitty sure is pissy today."


I turned and saw Chem chuckling. "What's so funny?" Twilight asked


Chem looked up and motioned towards Fawn "You think if I ate some peppermint candy Fawn would be all over me?"


"Shut your mouth Chem!" Fawn yelled trying to get Sonic to let go of her.


"Sorry." Chem said through his laughing


Fawn sighed loudly and when Sonic released her she went and sat on the opposite side of the room. Spark shook his head "She always lets her anger get the best of her."  "Okay Aaron if aren't part of the Retter, explain why you keep disappearing and have to make those calls."


"That's my business!" Aaron yelled


"Then we'll have assume you are a Retter." Spark said calmly "Get rid of you once and for all."


Aaron lowered his head "What do I have to do to just get one normal night?"

"Tell them the truth." I thought in his head


He looked at me "Get out of my head kid."


"Are you one of them?"


"No!"


"Then tell them what you have been doing."


"Well why don't you tell them? You've obviously been in my head."


"No I haven't... I haven't been able to get in your head at all."


Aaron hesitated a moment then said out loud "If you really must know, I had to talk to my doctor..."


"Doctor?" Amber questioned


"Yes doctor." Aaron replied with a annoyed look on his face.


"Would you like to elaborate?" Chem asked


"I guess, it seems like I don't get much of a choice." Aaron snapped


We were all waiting when Fawn finally spoke up "Will you just get on with it?"


"Fine." Aaron said reluctantly  then began "I had to call my doctor because she has some medicine that she needs to send me"


"What kind of medicine?" I asked


"Anti- anxiety." He replied shortly "Now can you let me go? I want to go find that Retter place and kick all their asses for setting me up."


Spark and Chem exchanged looks and Chem shrugged his shoulders "Your call." he said


Spark looked towards me and asked "Can you tell if he's lying?"


"He's not." I replied quickly


Spark gave me a surprised glance for being so sure but said "Fine. Since we obviously can't prove anything we'll let you go." "I don't want to do this but I don't have much choice."


Aaron grinned at he and Sonic as they untied him and I could tell Spark would like to punch him in the face. Aaron rubbed his wrist and sat up "Well I say we go kick some Retter asses. Then I will let you guys get on your marry ways."


"One problem with that." Noah said. He had been nearly silent since we arrivied here. I couldn't get rid of that odd feeling of distrust everytime I looked at him. Something about him just isn't right. What I had heard Rick think definitly didn't help. "Don't trust that guy. Something's just not right about him. I hope they keep a good eye on him." Of course his thoughts were always jumbled so I wasn't really sure if he knew what he was thinking.


"That is?" Aaron asked arching his eyebrow


"We don't know where the place is." Noah replied


With a duh expression on his face Aaron said "We'll go find it then."


"I've already decided what to do." Spark interupted "Tomorrow morning we're goin to split into groups and search through the town for a couple hours." Before Aaron could argue Spark continued "No discussion. So for now go get some sleep."~


About an hour later we all layed wherever we could find a comfortable spot. For me that was a spot on the floor at the end of one of the beds. I layed there and thought how Gail was doing at work. Was she still worried about me? I hope they stop searching for me soon. It was becoming a pain to try and not be noticed. Also it would always bring up my emotions of missing home. Even if Gary was a drunk who couldn't keep a job he was still my only family. I actually worry about him because I was the one who kept the house organized and was able to get  food on the table, even if it was only a little. I wonder what people at school have done? Did any of them even notice that I was gone? It wouldn't really surprise me. Now I kind of regret never asking Savannah out, though of course she would have said no, but at least I can say I tried.


It was nice knowing I had friends now. Even if we argue, well mainly me and Chem do. Chem quite enjoys making my life hell but a good hell, if that's possible. Amber and I have become really close, she's like the bestfriend I never had. It was nice too. I then felt guilty at the thought of Anna, I still felt really bad for what I said to her. I never had a chance to apologize either because she is always with Casper.  I wonder what people at school are thinking with her gone. I hadn't even thought about that until now. I'm sure her dad has come up with some sort of story for her being gone. Since none of us have seen her picture in the news which is helpful because just having me in it is enough trouble.


As I layed on my stomach I heard footsteps walking towards the door. I lifted my head up groggily and saw the outline of Anna. Where could she possibly be going? I know it wouldn't be safe for her going out on her own so I decided I would go see what she was doing. I grabbed my jacket and slipped on while opening the door quietly. I could see Anna going outside so I quickened my pace to catch up to her.


Once outside I saw her sitting on a bench. She jumped when she heard me approaching but when she saw it was only me she stayed still. "What are you doing out here?" I asked sitting beside her. It was really cold out here to the point where I could see my breath.


"I couldn't sleep." She replied softly


"Me either..." I say


An akward silence goes between us. I had thought about how I was going to apologize to her for the past week and now everything seemed to disapear. Her thoughts were rather quiet. She missed her dad a lot and Melvin. She must be going through a lot right now. Without warning a large snow pile fell off the roof onto my head. I jumped to my feet and cursed to myself. That was really cold! Anna was on her feet as well trying to hide a smile as she helped wipe the snow off. "Isn't that just my luck." I said chuckling


"Yeah I guess so." She laughed


I stopped laughing and said "I'm sorry Anna for what I had said to you. I feel really awful for it."


She sighed softly "It's okay Tavin. I'm sorry for slapping you. I just couldn't help myself."


I shrugged "I deserved it."


We sat back down and I tried to listen to what she was thinking. "I miss my dad so much."


"I am really sorry for what I said about your dad." I say


"Were you listening to my thoughts?" She asked


"Umm..."


"You know thats tecnically eaves dropping?"


I had never really thought of it that way. "I guess so. I just can't help it. It's just a habit."


"Maybe the only reason you keep on reading people's thoughts is so you won't be haunted by your own."


I was surprised by what she said. I'm not afraid of my own thoughts... am I? I didn't ever think of it that way.

"What do you mean?"  I ask


"Just think about it." She replied "What do you think about?"


I hesitated a moment. "I don't even know." I thought. I sighed and began with the first thing that came into my
head "I think about what it would have been like to have never have had my powers. To have been able to grow with a normal life is something I always wanted. If it weren't for my powers my parents may still be alive. Then I wouldn't have ever had to go live with my uncle and I never would have gone to our school and had to put up with John and his monkeys. I guess I think of things that could have been."


She gave me a sympathetic look and said"I know my life doesn't really compare since I have a mom and dad and we aren't perfect but they're my family. My dad and I are really close we told eachother everything, well, I thought everything. My dad isn't everything I thought him to be. I love him but there's another side of him I didn't know even existed."


I chuckled "Yeah, I can get that."


She grinned but it turned quickly into a frown "I miss him and I want to see him so much. We've been gone almost two months. I hope he's taking good care of Melvin for me."

Anna and her fish always make me grin no matter how bad things are she always missing that fish. "I'm sure he is." I assure. Then the I asked "What about your mom?" She had never told me anything about her.


"She's in a mental institution..."


"Oh I'm sorry." I say quickly


She shook her head "Don' t worry, you didn't know."


Not knowing if I should continue I asked anyways "What happened to her?"


She sighed softly then began "Few years, when I was at a friends house and my dad was at work someone broke into our house. At least that's what we always believed. You see none of us really know because my mom won't talk about it. After that happened she would barely talk and it was a effort to just get her out of bed. One night while I was sleeping I was woken up by screaming from the other room. I hurried and found my mother lying on the bed sobbing and my dad was backed awy from her. He told me to go back to my room and I remember the next day men came to take her away. She had tried to choke my dad after he tried waking her from a nightmare she was having. She's been there nearly two years and I try to visit her as often as possible. I always read to her, I think it calms her down the best. My dad wouldn't ever go visit her though which always made me a little upset. Things could be worse though."


It amazes me how Anna can stay on the brightside of things. Nothing ever seems to get her down for long. I shivered and looked at her "We should probably get back inside. It's getting pretty cold."


She nodded and slowly stood up while rubbing her hands together. As we walked side by side I heard someone coming towards the door. I pushed Anna against the wall and put my hand over her mouth. We waited there until whoever it was barge out the door. To my surprise it was Spark. I almost thought he had noticed us gone and was going to come find us but instead he just disapeared around the corner. I know he'd get mad if he knew we came out here so once he took a turn around the corner I released Anna and began to go inside.

"Why is he out here?" Anna thought causing me to stop


"I thought that would be eave's dropping?" I thought to her


"Just this once, please?"


I ran my hand through my hair and nodded "Fine."


I closed my eyes and tried to picture Spark. I took Anna's hand and would send the thoughts to her as well. Spark's thoughts were jumbled and confusing. I think he's thinking about a dream he had. I then saw a memory of he and Fawn standing together in a park. I assume it was before the others joined the group. The memory then faded and Spark thought "Why does she do this to me? What have I done wrong? I shouldn't have ever let her get to me this way. She's my weakness, and I hate it. Just being near her drives me crazy." I couldn't help but feel bad for him.


Anna squeezed my hand and I opened my eyes "We should go now. This isn't any of our business."


"I agree."  I reply, quietly opening the door for her.


When we got to the room my eye lids were so heavy I could barely keep them open. As soon as I was lying on the floor I fell asleep, but not before I thought of what Anna said "Maybe the only reason you keep on reading people's thoughts is so you won't be haunted by your own."~



Fawn:
After a few hours of sleep we were all waken up and had gone to eat. "Okay," Spark began as we finished eating breakfest. "Like I said last night we're going to split up and search the town. If any of you happen to find anything you call me."


I sat down my glass and asked "Well what are we waiting for?"


So then we split up into groups, Amber and Tavin, Casper and Anna, Sonic and Chem, Twilight and Tiny, Spark and Bryn(which surprised me), then Noah, Aaron and I were the last ones left. I was definitly not happy with this, I don't want to be anywhere near Aaron. He didn't seemed enthused about it either. I wasn't going to argue about it though.


I tried to ignore the irritation I got when Spark and Brynn paired up. Since Bryn used to be part of the Retter Spark thought she would be more helpful with him. Spark and I hadn't talked since the day after the carnival. I haven't wanted to talk to him either.


"I think you ow me an apology." Aaron said to me as we walked down the street


I rolled my eyes and replied "Shut up. We're not here the talk."


"You just can't admit you were wrong." He continued with a smug look on his face.


I kept walking and tried to ignore him. I wasn't going to let him get to me. That wouldn't be easy though... "Are you just going to give me the silent treatment then?" Aaron prodded


"I'm not in the mood for talking." I mumble


"I think maybe your more mad at the fact that I read your diary."


I stopped in my tracks and faced him "Okay Aaron, if you really must know I am mad at you for reading my own personal journal, not diary thanks, you had no right!"


"And you had no right to try and choke me!"


"Oh yes I did! If you don't recal remember your comment about... the peppermint."


He grinned "Yeah I guess so."


I wanted to hit that smug look of his face so much.  I began to reply when I realized something was missing, or someone I should say. Noah. I turned around and found him no where in sight. "Where's Noah?"

Aaron looked around and shrugged his shoulders "How should I know? He's your pet."


I hit him on the arm "This isn't a joke Aaron."


"He'll show up eventually." Aaron said. I could tell he really didn't care where Noah was.


Even though I didn't want to just leave without looking for him. I knew that we had to get searching. I'm sure we'd just meet up with him later. I am just more worried about having to be alone with Aaron.


We walked in silence for the most part. I prefer it that way. Of course it couldn't stay that way. "So you know, after I read your journal, I didn't forget about the kiss because it was bad."


I tried to hide the surprise on my face and merely replied with "Oh."


"Oh? That's all you reply with?"


"Obviously."


"Don't you want an explination?"


I wanted to say yes but I didn't want it to be obvious that I cared "Not really." I say cooly


"I think you're lying."


"I am not."


"Yes you are. I can tell!"


"How is that?" I demanded


He stopped and chuckled "Your cheeks get really red and you move your hands a lot."


I glared at him "You are just imagining things."


"Mhm... Do you want to know or not?"


I sighed "Since you seem so determined on telling me, go right ahead."


"It's kind of hard to explain, it doesn't even really make sense to me, but I think it was my powers."


I gave him a skeptical look


"I think they some how messed with my thoughts causing me to forget things."


He was either telling the truth or he is very good at lying. I began to reply but stopped when I saw a group of men wearing all black turning around a corner the familiar tingiling on my arm told me instantly who they were. Aaron must have noticed as well. Without saying anything we both began to follow the men.


After following the men for almost a half and hour we came to a building  on the outside of town. I'm not sure how this place could stay a secret. "Or maybe it's not." I shivered at the thought of how many innocent people may have been killed here. This had to be the place. I continued to follow them when Aaron pulled me to a stop. "Look." He said motioning to the building. I squinted my eyes and saw cameras pointing in every direction.


"What do we do?" I asked


"Get a hold of Spark and the others."


I nodded my head and took my phone out dialing Spark's number. "What?" He answered


"Well hello to you to."


"Is this important Fawn?"


"If finding the Retter place then yeah, it's pretty important."


"Where?"


I gave him the directions and he said he and the others would be here as fast as possible. Aaron and I sat
behind some bushes and waited. While we sat there we heard screaming coming from the outside of the building. I instantly looked around the bushes and saw a group of kids being hearded into the building by the Retter. I could tell by the horror in their eyes that they were all Chosen. I wanted to go after them and help them but I knew I had to wait. "I'll kill them." Aaron whispered hatefully.


About twenty minutes later I saw Spark emerge from the trees with Bryn at his side. Noah wasn't with them though. I stood to my feet and walked towards them. "We have to get in there. They just took a group of kids in there."


Spark nodded avoiding my eyes "Okay."


"We can't get in though." Aaron said "They have camera's everywhere."


Then I had an idea "Casper can get in and turn them off."


All of our stairs went to him and I could tell he wanted to disapear now. "There will be Retter in there though so I am sure they'd notice and turn them on before we got in." Casper said quietly


"That's when Tavin comes in." I say


"What?" Tavin asked in shock


"Cas will poof you two in there and while Cas is turning the camera's and alarms off you can use your mind powers to knock the guards out." Chem said finally realizing what I was getting at.


"Exactly." I said


Casper and Tavin exchanged nervous looks and Tavin said "I'll do it."


Casper nodded his head as well.


Spark also nodded and said to Tavin"Okay. When you get the cameras off and the guards taken care of send one of us a thought that we can come in."


"Okay." he replied.


Spark then looked at Casper and said "If anything goes wrong get out of there. I don't care what happens, just get out of there."


"Got it." Casper whispered


Casper then stood beside Tavin and placed his hand on his shoulder. Then the two were gone. "So now we wait." Bryn said


"Where's Noah?" Amber asked while we all stood around anxiously waiting to go inside.


Eveyone's attention was on me and I shrugged my shoulders "I don't know. He wandered off without catching our attention."


Before anyone asked anything else, Aaron who had been leaning against a tree stood straight and said "We need to go in now."~


It was dark and cold in the building. We found Casper and Tavin waiting for us. At their feet laid three bodies past out. "Before I knocked them out I found out that they're keeping the other Chosen in a room on the other side of this place. We need to get to them right away because they plan to start experimenting on them now." Tavin said to us.


"Let's go." Spark replied and headed down the hallway "Tavin try and see if you can hear anyone's thoughts."


"Okay." Tavin said


We past many doors and I wondered how many possible Chosen's could have been killed in them. Or if there were any Chosen in there now. I felt Aaron's hand on my shoulder to keep moving.


We had taken so many turns I wasn't sure if we'd ever find those kids. Then from the end of a hallway we all heard a scream of pain. "This way." Spark said turning to the right.


After a few more turns I saw light coming from underneath a door.  I stopped and since I was in the back of the group no one noticed. I placed my ear against the door and I heard sobbing. Without thinking twice I opened the door and saw a young girl maybe 14 years old. When she saw me I saw fear fill her eyes "Please don't hurt me."  she begged. Her hands and legs were tied to a chair, her face was cut and bruised and her left eye was nearly swollen shut.


"Shhh," I said walking towards her "I'm not here to hurt you, I came here to help you. I'm like you." I say showing her my mark.


Her eyes filled with hope "You can help me?"


"Yes, now hold still while I get you out of here."


As I worked on undoing the knots on her wrist she asked "What's your name?"


"Fawn." I reply


"That's pretty. Mine's Jane."


I looked at the young girl "Well Jane me and my friends are going to get you out of here."

As soon as I finished untying her I grabbed her hand and helped her from the chair. We weren't able to move very fast due to Jane's injuries. We had to find the others are quickly as possible. I had to get Jane out of here.
Suddenly I felt a hand grab me from the shadows. Jane let out a pitful squeel "Fawn!"


"Let me go." I demanded


"Oh cool it Kitty." Aaron's voice said stepping from the shadows.


I looked back at Jane "Don't worry. He's safe."


"Where have you been? One moment you behind me then you were gone." Aaron said


"You sound like you were worried." before he said anything else I continued "I found her." I montioned towards Jane.


"Let's go then. Spark thinks he knows where the others are." Aaron said heading through the darkness.~


When we got to the others Spark stormed towards me and gripped my arm tightly "You were supposed to stay with the group."


"Yeah and leave Jane there to be killed." I snapped


"It could have been a trap."


"But it wasn't. So if you don't mind I'd like it if you'd let me go."


He let go of me and walked back towards the group. I turned around and saw that Jane was gone. "Jane?" 

Panic was filling my body. "Jane?" where did she go. She was just there a minute ago. "Where is she?"


"Fawn you okay?" Aaron asked walking towards me


"No," I say shaking my head "She's gone. I have to go find her."


"Oh no you don't.You're not going anywhere." Aaron said


"I have to find her." I reply desperatly


"We will but at the moment we have to find the other kids." This time it was Spark. He must have noticed Jane's disapearence as well.


"Fawn!" Jane's voice yelled from a nearby room


I pushed past Aaron and Spark and ran for the room. "Fawn no!" Spark exclaimed as I burst through the door

She wasn't alone in there though. A woman with black eyes was grinning at me "I wondered when I'd find you." Laying at her feet was Jane.


"What did you do to her?" I demanded


"Don't worry. Your little friend is fine." She woman chuckled


"She will be, especially when you're dead." I snapped and charged at the woman. I then felt hands around my arms. I turned my head and saw two men in black holding on to me.


I heard yells coming from outside the room and obviously there were more Retter. The woman in front of me had Jane on her feet. "Let her go!" I screamed


"Oh you want me to let her go?" The woman grinned evily


Everything then began to go in slow motion. I felt my body beginning to shake I wanted to change but I couldn't! Something was stopping me from transforming and I don't know what! Jane gave me a look for help and I felt desperate. There was nothing I could do. "Fawn." Jane cried. The woman then grabbed her neck and twisted it.  My head felt like it was spinning as I saw Jane's body fall to the floor. "No, no no no!" I sobbed.


The woman stepped over Jane's lifeless body and walked towards me. "I'll kill you!" I screamed


The woman put her hand on my face and said in a voice that sounded so much like Jane it made me want to cry "Poor little Chosen. Wishing you could change don't you? Too bad this is a room specifically built to keep people like from using your powers." I knew the others had to stay out of the room.


Out of nowhere the men who had me released me and fell to the floor. I looked back and saw Tavin at the doorway with his eyes closes. "Fawn come on!" He yelled.


I turned back and found that the woman had somehow vanished. Then my eyes went to Jane. Poor little Jane. So young and innocent. She didn't deserve any of this.  "Fawn now we have to go!" Tavin had now run into the room and dragged me out. Then with one final glance at Jane everything disapeared.~


"You are so stupid! How could you do something like this?" Spark shouted at me as soon as we arrieved outside of the hotel. Casper had been able to get us all out of there.


"They had Jane!" I said just as loud


"If you had just waited we could have saved her and probably all of the others! You are just so self-absorbed and hot headed that you couldn't just wait and listen to me!" Spark yelled even louder


"This is all your fault! This group would have been so much better without any of you! You should just leave!" Twilight said furiously


"I will then! Since none of you want me here! I'm gone. You don't have to worry about me showing my face here ever again!" I then stormed away from the group, not expecting anyone to follow after me. Not even Spark will come following, no, I’ve hurt him too much. I’ve hurt everyone, I almost got everyone killed. If it weren't for me Jane may be alive. If I hadn’t been an idiot and waited like Spark said we may have been able to help those kids and save Jane. All of this was my fault. This was the final time I’d ever see them again willingly. If only Noah hadn’t disappeared. I thought to myself as I hurried outside to go get my bag from the car. I could really use someone who didn’t hate me.


I shivered as a cool breeze hit my face causing my fallen tears to feel like ice and I quickened my pace. I don’t know what I’m going to do, but I know I’m getting out of this cold weather.


After grabbing my things I decided to go to a hotel at the end of town that I had seen earlier. I felt like crying but I honestly didn’t know if I could anymore.  The hurtful look that Spark gave me as he yelled at me broke my heart. Did it have to come to this? Yes, no thanks to me.


“Fawn!” An angry voice yelled from behind me.


“Not now.” I said starting to jog down the deserted road. I luckily found an alley way to turn down quickly. I held my breath as I saw Aaron walk past. I didn’t need him telling me what a terrible and stupid person I am. That’s what I have myself for. It doesn’t help Aaron apparently read my journal. The image of Chem’s face popped into my head of him laughing at me when Aaron mentioned me saying his lips tasted like peppermints and guilt filled my stomach. I would actually miss his big grammar.


Once I knew Aaron was long gone I continued to the hotel which I could now see. I could hear the voices of many people coming from the bar next door. All of them sounding happy and carefree. I envied all of them.

I was greeted by a young man maybe a few years older than me at the front desk. He smiled and said “Hello, are you planning on making a reservation here tonight?”

I nodded, I was not in the mood for talking.


As soon as I paid for the room, the man gave me my key and I went to my room. It was small but comfortable not that that mattered now though. Without even removing my jacket I fell onto the bed and began to sob. I wanted to sleep but I couldn’t keep my eyes closed long enough to. Each time I tried I would either see Spark’s hate filled eyes or Jane's lifeless body. I won’t ever be able to live with myself. I might as go hand myself over to the Retter now. I mean at least they could give my powers to someone useful. Yeah and put the group in more danger. Maybe I’ll go to Mexico, start fresh and forget my old life.


When my sobs became short gasps I stood to my feet and walked towards the window. Snow was beginning to fall now and I saw people moving walking to wherever they may be going.I saw a couple with a young child passing by. It made me happy that even with all this evil in the world that happiness can still thrive.  


I moved away from window and removed my jacket, throwing it on a nearby chair. I went to the mirror and saw someone I couldn’t even recognize. My eyes were red and puffy from crying, my face was bruised and scraped from the fight with the Retter, and my hair was a mess. I decided to take a shower to try and clear my thoughts.


It didn’t help however. My body was clean but my thoughts were not. With a fresh pair of clothes on I sat back down on my bed and tried to keep myself from crying. I feel like I’ve lost everything, I lost Spark, I lost the group, I lost my reason for living and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get them back.


I laid my head against my knees and rocked myself slowly. I listened to a clock on the wall as the seconds past Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock.  I think I could drive myself crazy. Suddenly breaking me from my almost trance I heard pounding from outside my room. I couldn’t even convince myself to move. If it’s the Retter, great then I won’t have to find them. The pounding then stopped and a few silent, tense moments passed. I almost thought whoever it was had chosen to leave. I then heard the clicks of the lock being picked, then I saw the door handle turn and the door flew open. I wanted to suffocate myself with a pillow. “You’re pathetic.” Aaron said as he closed the door behind him.


“Tell me something I don’t know.” I replied trying to push back my many emotions


“If you hadn’t been so stupid, none of this would have happened” He scolded


I didn’t really want to have this conversation now “You think I don’t know that?” I felt tears start to fall down my face. “If it weren’t for me a lot of things wouldn’t have happened!”


Aaron gave me a sympathetic look and sat across from me. Which caused me to become even more upset. “I don’t want your sympathy! I don’t want anything! Especially from you! I don’t deserve it, I, I, I “ I stammered as my body began to shake.


“Fawn,” He started to say placing his hand on my leg.


I pulled away “No, just go away Aaron.” I paused a moment then asked “Why are you even here? I already know I am a terrible person who is just a waist of air.”


He had surprised look on his face then thought for a moment before replying “Well I was going to tell you that you are a rash, stubborn, bossy, controlling person and it is your fault for a lot of things but I wasn’t going to tell you that you are a waist of air or a terrible person.”


“But I am,”


He shook his head “No you aren’t. Even with all the things I said you were I haven’t met a person so caring.
The way you look out for the group could prove that.”


“They hate me now though and I don’t blame them. I hate me too right now.” I then broke out into sobs. Aaron was then somehow beside me with his arm wrapped around me. I didn’t even try to push him away. Why was Aaron being Mr. Caring now? He of all people shouldn’t be attempting to comfort me.


When I finally could calm myself I laid my head on Aaron’s shoulder and said “It’s not fair.”


“Nothing ever is.” he replied running his hand through my damp hair


“I just feel like I’ve lost everything and everyone.” I say picking my head back up and looked away.

Aaron was silent a moment then said “I’m still here you know.”


I turned my head to him and I was actually speechless. I looked into his green eyes and I could tell he actually meant what he was saying. A few silent moments past neither of us knew what to say. Aaron then placed his hand on my cheek and without hesitation we brought our lips together. I knew now wasn’t the time to be doing this but I didn’t care. What else did I have to loose? Aaron. How do I know he won’t just forget this?

My worries soon went away though. “Don’t worry, I won’t forget this time.” he said with a grin then continued to kiss me. He better be telling the truth because this may be our last good memory together.~


I opened my eyes slowly and let them adjust to the light. I felt Aaron’s arm wrapped around my waist and everything began to flood back to me. The clock on the wall said it was around 5 a.m. I knew I had to get going before Aaron woke up and would stop me or want to come with me. I had to get away for awhile. Even though I’m not sure if I’d ever come back. I moved his arm carefully so I wouldn’t wake him and  dressed in the warmest clothes I had and I couldn’t help but notice how peaceful Aaron looked. He seemed so much younger.
My heart wanted me to go back to him and sleep, but I knew I had to leave before I cause him anymore pain.

As I prepared to leave I saw a note pad and a pen and decided to write Aaron a note. It began,


   Thanks Aaron for everything. I’m sorry but I  had to leave. Don’t bother looking for me, It’s better if I leave now before anything else happens. Maybe we’ll see each other sometime in the future.
        ~Fawn

Tears in my eyes started to build up as I laid the note on the pillow beside him. I leaned down and kissed him softly on the cheek and headed for the door without another glance.


I manage to make it out of the hotel without shedding a single tear. I shivered as snow flakes hit my face. Just a short walk away was a bus station that I knew had a bus leaving in an hour. I don’t even know where it would take me nor do I care. As long as I can get as far away from here as possible.


While I walked I had that feeling of being watched. The street was practically empty though except for me and an occasional person. The feeling wouldn’t shake though making me feel anxious.  


I could see the bus station now and began to feel a little more at ease. Suddenly I felt a hand grab me from an alley way. “Let me go!” I snarled trying to rip the grip away.


“Fawn stop!”


I froze and knew it was Noah. “Noah?”


“Ya...”


“What are you doing? Where have you been?” I asked


“I came to find you. I’ve been running some errands.” he replied looking down the alley way and nodded his head


“What are you talki-” I began to say when I heard footsteps coming approaching us. I gasped when I saw five
Retter appear. I gave Noah a horrified look “Wait, what’s going on?”


Noah ignored me and tightened his grip. “Good work Noah.” One of the men said with a German accent.  The man stepped closer to me and put his hand on my cheek “She’s a spirited one.”


“Damn right!” I snapped tossing his hand away


“She will be of much use to us.” The man said ignoring my comment


“Like I would ever help you!” I yelled as I tried to get Noah to let go. How could he? How did I not know he was one of them? All this time he’s been pretending to be my friend. Spark had been right, Noah only saved me to get to the others. If I got the chance I would rip out his throat.


The man merely chuckled at me and said something to the others in German. He then looked back at me “Even if it meant the survival of your friends?”

My heart fell “What are you talking about?” I managed to ask


“I have some of my men surrounding the hotel they are at. At my command they will go in and kill them.”


“No! You can’t.” I begged


“Then you will do whatever I ask?”


“Only if my friends leave here alive.”


He nodded his head “Yes, very well.” he then looked at Noah “Take her away.”


The man and the other Retter disappeared leaving Noah and I alone. “Come on.” he ordered


I followed him and asked “How could you?”


He stopped and looked at me “I swore to get all Chosen off this planet.”


“But why?”


For a moment I could see  the Noah I knew but only for a moment “I had a regular family, a mom, a dad and my younger brother,Nick. Nick and I were very close but when he turned fifteen and I was eighteen we began to notice his powers. He was able to control light but not well. One day when I returned home from my job I found my parents dead, Nick was nowhere to be seen. Nick had murdered them by forming a type of weapon. A lot like Aaron and how he can make the shadows into whatever he wants.”


“That’s why you hated him so much.” I say.


He nodded his head then continued “That’s when the Retter found me and told me I could get revenge on my brother. They taught me their ways and about things like you.”


I felt my blood begin to boil. “I am not a thing! I am a living breathing human!”


He acted as if he didn’t hear me “I found me brother. He had been living off the streets trying to stay hidden from me.”


I knew how this story would end “Then you killed him...” I finished for him


We were both silent and Noah began to lead me away. I wish that I would have stayed with Aaron now. Everything was changing and it was not for the better.~

No comments:

Post a Comment