Monday, June 6, 2011

Casper/Aaron (17)


“That’s it.” Spark said turning around after Chem had explained about the message on Aaron’s phone and our assumptions of the possibility of him being a Retter.


                “Spark no!” Chem said stepping out in front of him


                “Why not?!” He yelled “You said it yourself! He’s one of them!”


                Could be! He could be I said but we don’t know!”


                “Close enough!”


                “So what?!” Chem yelled and I was surprised because I’ve only seen Chem angry twice since the past year and let me tell you it’s not a pretty sight. Spark turned around and glared at him but Chem just replied “You’re just going to kill him without even knowing for sure?”


                “Why didn’t you tell me when you found out then?” He asked lowering his voice a little


 “Because you don’t think right when you’re angry! Sorry but it’s the truth….We can’t just kill someone who could be innocent…what better are we then the Retter if we do?”

Spark looked away then and everyone stayed silent. Spark might be the leader but I had to say I was on Chem’s side on this…”What do you suggest we do then?” Spark asked still annoyed looking back at Chem.

“I say we just ditch him.” Twilight sighed

“For once…” Sonic said “I actually agree with diamond girl. We can’t risk having him with us…”

Chem rolled his eyes “At least wait until we get out of here…after that we can question him. If he turns out to be one of them he’s all yours, but all I’m saying is that we at least give the guy the benefit of doubt.”

“I don’t see why we should.” Spark replied

Chem sighed “Think of it this way then…even if he is guilty we can still get information out of him. If he checks out ok he can still be some help in the future. Like it or not Spark but if we’re going to win this war against the Retter we’re going to need everyone we can get.”

Silence took over for what I was guessing to be a little over a minute before Spark finally answered “Fine, Chem we’ll go with your plan. I’m trusting you with this so don’t let me down.”

Chem laughed in reply “You kids always have the need to either doubt or rebel against our ideas don’t you? Don’t worry Spark I know what I’m doing.”

                Spark nodded “Everyone ready then?” he asked as he looked at all of us and we all nodded in reply “Good let’s go then, we’ve all ready wasted enough time here.”ÿ




                I laid my head against the window as we drove down the road. Three hours has passed and Spark was still in a bad mood, but at least he tried not to show it as much as before. Anna sat beside me neither one of us talking while the others were discussing other matters. I saw the glimpse of white in the sky and knew immediately that it was just Turtle. I hadn’t seen him since we were at Meg’s but I guess that was kind of a good thing because that meant there were no other Chosen in trouble at the moment…excluding us of course.


                Tiny still kept on looking over at Anna and me smiling from the front though. I rolled my eyes; There was nothing going on between me and Anna but of course Tiny had to make it seem like there was. Don’t get me wrong Anna’s a pretty girl and all but we’re just friends. Nevertheless though I didn’t like how Tavin treated her like he had. I’m not saying like it any of my business either but I just don’t like seeing people hurt like she was….I looked over at her as she stared out the window; she seemed a little better then she was before but I could tell what that she wasn’t completely ok.


                “Hey Chem…” Spark said looking back towards the very back where Chem was sitting messing with some kind of metal device.


                “Hmm?” He replied not looking up


                “Does Fawn know about Aaron?”


                “I haven’t gotten the chance to tell her yet no…don’t worry I’ll tell her before you knock him out.”


                Spark nodded and went back to paying attention to the road “So what’s the plan then?”


                “With knocking him out?” Chem let out a laugh “Why do I have to come up with everything? You’re the big bad leader remember? I thought you were the one who’s supposed to come up with the plans?”


                Spark sighed “I just don’t know how we’re going to be able to do it…..”


                “Have Tavin knock him out. It’d be the quickest.”


                “Yah but he’d be suspecting it,” Bryn spoke up “We’ve all seen how he can somehow sense that.”


                “True….” Chem answered “Then who? Who’d be able to sneak up on him without knowing they were there?”


                Aw crap I thought


                “Hey how about you Casper?” I heard Chem ask and I looked back to see him smiling


                “Do I have to?” I complained


                “Chem…” Spark started to say


                “Oh come on he’s the only other guy I can think of that he’d never suspect. He’s a big boy he can do it.” Chem replied


                “Uh…no I can’t.” I responded


                “Oh sure you can boy, he’d never know it was you.” Chem laughed


                “Chem leave him alone we’ll figure something else out…” Spark said


                Which means I have to or else I’m going to look like a coward I thought ….I can deal with that


                “Just saying….” Chem said but added “just think about it though kid. You might as well put those powers to some good use.”


                I ignored his comment and kept calm like always. I couldn’t let other people get to me, but Chem did have a point…If Tavin couldn’t do it I was the only other person that Aaron wouldn’t expect to go behind his back. Then again I really didn’t want to get into a fight if he found out….


                “I’ll think about it.” I muttered


                “Hmm?” Chem asked “Sorry I didn’t hear you.”


                “I said I’ll think about it.” I said a little louder


                “Thank you Casper.” Spark said as he kept his eyes on the road. He knew I would agree to Chem’s plan sooner or later just like I did.


                “So where are we even going?” Twilight whined, who sitting next to Chem


                “Back to Rick’s.” Spark replied


                “Why?” Twilight asked still in a whinny voice


                “Because he said so, so shut your cake hole!” Chem snapped


                “Screw you Chem!”


                “Oh yah that’s a good comeback miss priss.” Chem answered sarcastically


                Those two seemed to argue for eternity before Spark finally told them to shut up. We all stopped as always for bathroom, food, and gas breaks but otherwise then that we just kept driving. Today had seemed to go by really slow by my opinion, maybe because so much happened yesterday…who knows traveling does that to you (for me at least). It was kind of nice though not to run into any Retter though…so far.ÿ




                Spark called Rick when we all stopped to get dinner (I’ve heard it’s better not to eat Rick’s food). Everyone was pretty quiet while they ate though, even Aaron and Twilight had nothing to say for the time being….


                “So…” Aaron started to say


                I spoke to soon.


                “When can I get my phone back?” He continued looking over at Chem who was eating a cheeseburger


                “Oh, my bad sorry here.” He said with his mouth full as he slid Aaron’s phone across the table and over to him


                “Thanks,” Aaron replied standing up “I need to make a call.”


                “For what?” Fawn asked


                Aaron looked back at here “I just need to make a call, do I have to tell you everything? Oh wait I forgot who I was talking to; Miss I Need to Know Everything.”


                She glared at him and it was almost worse than seeing her yelling.


                “I think I just pissed Kitty off so I’ll be wherever.” Aaron replied turning his back on us and leaving the restaurant


                We all went silent as we waited for Fawn to do something but she just went back to being quiet like the rest of us and ate her food. I and a few of the others looked over at Chem to see if he would tell Fawn about Aaron but he just shook his head meaning “not yet”. Fawn looked up just in time to see though “What?”


                Chem looked up “Hmm?”


                “Don’t hmm me what are you guys hiding?” She asked


                “Nothing…” Chem replied


                “Why were you shaking your head then?”


                “Because of Aaron?” Chem replied in a well duh expression


                Well he isn’t lying I thought


                A few minutes later Spark came in and sat down beside Sonic and away from Fawn and Noah.


                “Did you get a hold of Rick?” Sonic asked him


                “Yah, I figured we should check to see if he found anything new but he said he’d get back to me. He also said we’re welcome to stay there for a while as well.”


                “That’s a surprise.” Fawn sighed


                Spark then looked around “Where’s Aaron?”


                “He had to go make a call…” Noah replied


                Spark muttered something that I couldn’t hear but stayed where he was “So will you guys be ready to go here soon?” He asked changing the subject


                We all looked around at each other and nodded. I heard the restaurant door open and Aaron walked back over to the table “Did I miss anything?”


                “Nope.” Tiny replied


                As I finished up eating I couldn’t help but think….with all these secrets that all of us are starting to keep they’re bound to backfire on us sometime….let’s hope we can all get through it.ÿ




                Back to plugging my nose and holding my breath for as long as I can. You’d think Rick would at least attempt to clean his house once. Rick still looked as sloppy as he did a few days ago if not worse. Oh well I guess Rick is Rick after all.


                “So did you find anything?” Spark asked him as we all tried to find a clean spot to sit down


                Rick scratched his head “Yes and no…”


                “What is that supposed to mean?” Twilight asked


                “It means…” Rick said slowly “that I think I might have found a lead on the Retter’s experiments that you were telling me about.”


                “Go on…” Aaron said after a few seconds of silence


                Rick sighed “I went to the bar an hour ago and ran into one of my old friends who used to work for them. Even though he was retired he wasn’t really in the mood to talk about it but I managed to get him to talk after a few more drinks…those were good beers….sorry anyways he said that people were saying that there might be a few experiments going on at Telluride Colorado….he said that they were trying to test some new technique to make the procedure more efficient…whatever that means.”


                We all looked over at Bryn then “I don’t know, I left a year ago when they were just first starting the procedures…a lot of things could go wrong I guess, I mean I’m an example of one.”


                “Do you know if they have any Chosen with them?” Spark asked


                “He didn’t know but if you want my opinion I’d bet they would if they’re testing.”


                Spark nodded “Everyone get some rest, we’ll leave in an hour.”


                “I call one of the vans!” Aaron yelled running out of the house with Sia running and barking behind him


                Challenge of the moment; Find a clean spot to sleep….Everyone raced throughout the house pushing past each other to get a spot. When I found one I ended up letting Anna taking it (hey my mom raised me to be a gentleman). I did finally find a spot next to an old broken cuckoo clock though. I laid on the hard wood floor and closed my eyes. Hopefully I could dream about more magic and come up with some more illusions.ÿ






                “Stop!” I yelled as I sat up in the van. I suddenly got the feeling of dizziness then and held my head to stay upright. Sia looked at me with her brown and blue eyes as I lay back in the seat. It felt as though the car was a hundred degrees and Sia leaning up against me wasn’t helping any. I sat back up and pushed the door open, cool air blew against my face and I instantly felt relief. I took a deep breath and looked across the road towards Rick’s house where I thought I saw someone standing on the porch. It was probably just one of the others but I couldn’t tell who. I got out of the car and started walking to the house.


                As I crossed the road everything seemed to go quiet…even the birds and crickets had gone silent….The next thing I heard was the sound of a car horn and I felt the impact of the car as the metal slammed into my body and against my bones…a flash of white then overtook my vision and I was suddenly at the side of the road about to step off onto the road gasping for breath.


                Once I got my breathing back under control I stepped back and looked back up at the house to see that no one was there…”What…the hell?” I muttered to myself. I jumped when I heard Sia run past me and I panicked as she bolted across the road “Sia!” I yelled but she already made her way up to the porch before she looked back with her tongue hanging out “You stupid dog…”  I said and looked up and down the road before I jogged up to her hearing the replay of the car horn sounding off in my ears. I pat Sia’s head as I looked back to the empty road and saw no cars whatsoever.


                I’m truly seeing things now…I told myself. I wiped my face of sweat before I got out my phone to check my messages. None.


                “Damn it.” I cursed. When was that woman going to call me back? I really need her to hurry up because I don’t know how much longer I can take all of this. Then again I did tell her that I was traveling so I would probably have to call her to remind her. I sat down on the porch stairs as Sia went down into Rick’s “yard” and sniffed around the area. A throbbing pain started in my head and lasted for about a minute before it faded away. I looked at my phone; still no calls. She should have called by now…


I could hear everyone else getting ready to go inside but I didn’t feel like going inside. I stood up and watched the sun disappear over the line of the trees. The image of the guy came back in my head and I started to wonder…who were they? I felt someone push past me and saw it was Fawn. I still don’t get why she’d be so angry with me. It’s not like kissing each other was a big deal, I mean we did it a hundred times back in Oregon….women…they always have to make things more complicated than they were.

I didn’t bother going to talk to her though because there was nothing to say. Besides I’m getting tired of getting beat up by her little boyfriend after being around her. Instead I shoved my hands in my pockets and whistled for Sia as I started walking down the road. I had more important things to think about besides Fawn.Ë


It was about two or three hours later before we decided to stop for gas. I let Sia out of the van as everyone got out but I ended up getting back in not feeling like being around anyone. Everyone in the group pretty much hated my guts at the moments and so far there was no sign of that changing…it was almost as if it was getting worse…

I watched as everyone went into the gas station and I shifted in my seat trying to get comfortable. I decided that now was probably a good time to call the doc though and let her know where I’m going to be plus I had gotten a fax number f…I dialed her number and heard the phone ring a couple times but only got the answer machine…

“Hey Doc, it’s me Aaron. I wanted to let you know that I’ll be in Telluride Colorado but it still be nice if you could renew that prescription for me. I’d give you a fax number but I can’t get to a computer to get one from there so would it be alright if you could just send it over there somehow? Thanks a lot again.” I said and hung up and put the phone back in my pocket

 I heard Sia jump against the door “Really Sia?” I asked her as I opened the door and she jumped in. I couldn’t help but be jumpy for some reason lately. Just as I was about to close the door I saw something had fallen out of the van. I got out and found that it was a small purple book. I picked it up and saw that it had a lock on it…

I wonder who’s this is? I thought and a grin crossed my lips. I never was one to really spy on other people’s personal stuff but then again I never had a sister to do that kind of stuff. Plus I’m bored so I might as well see what it all has in it…I tried to open the book but sighed and looked around before I swept my hand under the car and produced a little pick lock made of shadow. I got back into the van and retried to open the lock when I heard a click. I waved the picklock away and opened the little book.

“Now who’s little book of secrets are you?” I asked but stoped when I saw a name written on the back of the cover….Fawn.

I let out a laugh She’s going to kill me if she finds out I have this I thought maybe I should just put it back…nah what’s the fun in that? I already opened it anyways let’s see what little Fawn has to say…

I flipped through the pages uninterested though. Most of them were about her and Spark (which I pretty much just blanked out), but there were a couple other things that I found interesting. For an example; Fawn and I have the same taste in music.

As I skimmed through all the pages finding nothing else that interesting I stopped when I saw my name…Aww I feel so special I made it into her book.

What can I say about him? Well for starters he's a self centered jerk! I started off hating him from the first time I met him. His dog is more agreeable than him! Why did I ever string him along?

Someone was a little pissy that day… I thought and skipped until I saw her mention me again

Anyways back to Aaron, it’s kind of weird but we share a connection. We are so alike I think thats why we clash... and get along. I however am not forgetful! At least when I kiss someone I can remember it.

Oh yah like that’s my fault I thought

I just can't get the thought of the kiss out of my head. Every time I see Aaron I can picture it. The way he moved his hands on me still burn in my mind. The taste of his lips reminded me of peppermint candy and I honestly liked it…

My lips taste like peppermint? I thought licking my lips and then looked at Sia “Do my lips taste like peppermint girl?” I crooned and laughed as she licked them and I went back to reading

 Was it so bad for Aaron he chose to forget it? He seemed happy. By the way he talked to me would have proved he really cared for me. Though obviously he didn't.

I stopped…is that what she really thinks? That I chose to forget? Did she really think that I would want to forget? The last sentence read…

So what else can I say about Aaron? He has a good side, but the rest of him sucks. I think I hate him.

Ok I’m never reading a dairy again I thought I should have never tried to pry into a woman’s mind; I’m not sure whether to feel flattered or insulted…

I closed the book and got out of the van as I saw the other’s walking back to the van. I saw Fawn and threw her the book “Drop something?”

She caught the book and glared at me “You better have not…” she started to say but I interrupted her

“Don’t worry I swear on my grandfather’s life I didn’t read a word.” I laughed

Good thing she doesn’t know he’s dead I thought or I’d be in two right now I then looked over at Tavin and added and so will you be if you’re listening to this and you tell her…Ë


I could smell the pine of the trees as we entered into the large town of Telluride, where there were few people out walking about but then again it was late at night. Snow covered the area but at least it wasn’t snowing anymore. Sonic drove as we followed the others in search for a place to stay after a couple of short stops for the town people’s opinions we ended up staying at some inn.

As we all walked into the building I stopped and turned around getting the feeling of being watched. Sia was turned in the same direction so I knew it couldn’t be just me either…

“Aaron.” I heard one of the group say and looked back to see all of them looking over at me

“Something wrong?” Bryn asked

“No…” I replied after a moment of hesitation “It’s nothing.” And I walked back over towards them with Sia by my side.

We ended up getting a room with two beds and a small kitchen. Sia pushed past all of us and jumped up onto one of the beds wagging her tail. I felt a smile cross my lips as I walked over as rubbed her head. I heard my phone ring in my pocket and grabbed it and answered “Hello?” I asked

“Aaron hi!”

“I’ll be right back.” I said pushing past the others and walking out into the hall and closing the door behind me “Hey Doc, what’s up?”

“I know it’s late but I finally got the time to renew that prescription for you. I called in like you asked because I’m such a good person…” She said and I laughed “and you can go pick it up at the Sunshine Pharmacy there. They’ll be closing here in a half hour”

“Thanks again Doc,” I said “I owe you big time.”

“Yes you do! I need to stop picking favorites…but I can’t help it. How have you been anyways? Well besides the reason you called me before…”

“I’ve been better I guess, I think this little vacation with my friends is getting a little old though.”

“Just hang in there Aaron it’ll be worth it in the end.” She laughed

“I sure hope so.” I muttered

“Well I gotta be heading home here so it was good talking to you again Aaron.”

“Yep you too Doc, bye.”

“Bye.” She replied and I hung up. I thought about going back into the room and tell everyone I was leaving but I don’t really feel like it so I just walked back to the lobby and got directions to the pharmacy before I left. I would take the van but the place is only ten minutes away by foot.

As I walked outside the air was cool against my skin but my mind was too busy trying to come up with things to make my heart beat faster. As I walked down the sidewalk I started to get the feeling of being watched again, but when I would turn around no one was there…at least not any I could see…the Retter couldn’t already know we’re here could they?

I arrived at the pharmacy though without running into any problems though so far. I walked into the small building and walked up the desk and told them that I was here for my prescription etcetera  etcetera and a few minutes later they had it ready. They told me that I needed to take the medication every night before I went to bed for as long as the medication lasted and then I pretty much just kind of blanked everything else that they said out (what? it wasn’t that important). I thanked them and walked out of the building with the bag in my hand.

I walked down the sidewalk and somehow my brain seemed to just realize how dark it had become because my heart started to beat faster than before. I tried to shake it off but it just kept on getting worse that at one point I had to stop and lean against a street light for a little bit of comfort. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths. I waited for a few seconds to recompose myself and continued walking on.

Aaron…” a voice said and I turned around and again saw no one. So it wasn’t enough to start seeing things I had to hear things as well…The next thing I heard was footsteps and when I started to turn around somebody pushed me up against one of the building’s alley walls away from light and any on lookers. I grabbed their arm as I tried to hold back their knife. I struggled surprisingly to keep the knife from inching it’s way closer.
                So I guess they do know we’re here…I thought


                “No…I just got lucky.” The Retter smiled and I then realized that a mark on their arm was glowing...so they were just a rogue...


                I gritted my teeth but replied as I felt the shadows surround us “That was your first mistake.” I growled and managed get the knife away and the shadows pulled the Chosen away and slammed them against the wall. I popped my neck and bent down as I grabbed the knife “I’m getting really tired of people trying to kill me…” I said as I tested the knife’s point and walked over to them.


                “They’ll find out what happened…” The Chosen said quickly “and they’ll skin you like a wild dog and your family as well.”


                “Oh?” I smiled evilly “Is that so? Because…” I said as I jabbed the knife into their ribs and leaned in closer to whisper in their ear “you said you just got lucky by finding us. Number one lesson…don’t threaten someone with a weapon.”


                I suddenly knew this guy’s name then somehow; Lance. He joined the Retter when he was fifteen years old after his family drowned from a boat accident concerning the Retter. Even so though I couldn’t feel any sympathy for him. In fact the only things I felt at the moment was anger and blood lust…”Better luck next time Lance…then again…there won’t be a next time.” I said as I shifted the knife up and he grimaced in pain and ever so slowly the life started to leave from his body. I let the body fall and the shadows consumed him as I took a step back and wiped the knife on my jacket. I started to get the light headed feeling again  and I almost lost my balance as I started to walk out of the alley. I looked back once and saw that the body was gone…as though it was never there…I looked down at my jacket and saw that the blood stains and the knife were gone as well…seriously what the hell is going on? I walked back over towards the street lamp and picked up the pharmacy bag and walked as quickly as possible from that alley. 
          
I tried to block out the image of me killing that guy as I walked back to the hotel. I still couldn’t decide if that had been real or not…If it had been though I shouldn’t feel bad. He threatened me and my family. He deserved what he got no matter who he was. I walked down the hall starting to feel a headache start to form in my temples again and the temperature started to rise. I reached the room the group was staying at and reached for the door knob when I stopped…the mark on my arm started to burn and I heard the sound of breathing. Not wasting a second I grabbed him by the arm and flipped Casper over as he reappeared. Why the hell did he just try to sneak up on me? Before I knew it though something slammed against the back of my head and I fell to the ground and blacked out.Ë


I woke up startled when I felt cold water hit my face. I shook my head and waited for the room to come back into focus. I tried to move my hands but something held them together. The same with my feet. I groaned as I tilted my head back and squinted at the bright light. What was going on?

“Hey look who finally decided to join us?” I heard someone say and heard the scooting of a chair

“What’s going on?” I asked as the group finally came to focus but none of them answered…”Seriously guys was this necessary? I mean I know you don’t like me but tying a guy up is a little over the top don’t you think?”

“Shut up.” Spark snapped

“Can I at least ask why you all did this?”

“Oh I think you already know…” Spark said

“Actually I don’t…” I said as I caught Fawn’s glare but this time she seemed even more pissed then earlier today…

“Don’t play games with us Aaron,” She growled “we know who you are.”

I let out a laugh “and who would that be exactly?”

“I can’t believe I almost trusted you…” She lowered her voice

“Well apparently that makes two of us since I’m the one tied up…now what the hell is going on?”

“Simple,” Twilight sighed “We all think you’re one of them.”

“One of…” I started to question but then understood and started to get mad “You guys think I’m a Retter?!”Ë

No comments:

Post a Comment